depfinder problem

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
toothandnail

depfinder problem

Post by toothandnail »

I've just built the new DAR release. Build was fine, and it works. However, trying to use depfinder to create a .dep file fails with this error:

Code: Select all

sparky[2.4.1]$ depfinder -f dar-2.4.1-i486-1pm.txz
ERROR: package requires libraries not found in the system:
 libdar64.so.5 
Seems a bit odd, given that the package itself contains libdar64.

Is there any way of avoiding this error when the package contains the supposedly missing library?

Paul.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: depfinder problem

Post by laprjns »

I've seen this happen when building packages on my dockstar with ARMedSlack. It works if you install the package before running depfinder. I have no idea why this happens though :?
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

If you install the package it will work. The error shows up because actually libdar64.so.5 is not in the package. libdar64.so might be, but it's not the same. Open the package with file-roller, you'll see that. The "libdar64.so.5" file is a symlink that is created after the package installation through doinst, but the executables inside the package are linked to it directly. Assuming that since libdar64.so is in the package, so libdar64.so.5 would be too, is wrong. The included libdar might be libdar64.so.4 for example, but an executable in there might still be linked to libdar64.so.5. There are cases where multiple so versions of a library are available in one or more packages. Installing the package will register libdar64.so.5 with the package database and depfinder will be able to know what the dependency actually is.
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

Thanks for the explanation George. I'll have to remember that in future - I think I hit a similar problem a little while ago, but in that instance, depfinder still produced a .dep file.

Paul.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

There was a bug in earlier depfinder versions that produced a dep file, even if a dependency couldn't be located.