Salix is a Keeper !!

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
sqlpython
Donor

Salix is a Keeper !!

Post by sqlpython »

This is my 100th post after about 1 year as a Salix User.
I like to try out different Distros but always seem to keep a Debian installed.
Currently, my favorite Lenovo Laptop has 5 Distros on it's 320 gb hard drive and one must go..
I will tell you what though, it won't be Salix. This is a Great Distro!!

So, for the first time in years I will not have a Kubuntu install whilst I install and try out either Scientific or CentOS Linux..
Right now I am getting ready to Burn both of the those Live CDs. Once I try out each I will install one on the Kubuntu partition.

Debian and Salix are main stays as my Daily Distros for Business...and it looks like it will remain that way.
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix is a Keeper !!

Post by Akuna »

Great to hear ! :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

I used to boot a variety of OS's like you. I found that I would favor one over they others and end up using that one almost exclusively. Its nice to have the all the choices so that you can make real-time comparisons. Sometimes there's something one OS can do better than rest, but then there's something else another can do better.

You mentioned 5 OS's. How do you partition?
ImageImage
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Like a lot of people these days, I started off with Ubuntu, recommended to me by a knowledgeable friend who must have thought that was a good place to start. Then I distro-hopped, and must eventually have come across Salix almost at random. I was hooked very quickly, even though the distro isn't primarily aimed at such inexperienced users as me. That must have been in part because things are generally straightforward and work without glitches (and nippy, for those of us with old or slow machines); but that's complemented by the friendly and helpful community, when problems do arise. As a result, I feel I've learned stuff a lot faster since. With Salix, ease of use and transparency (and control) are two sides of the same coin, not the defining poles of a messy compromise. No doubt that's just as true of Slackware, except that it's left as an exercise for the user to actually set up a workable system. :lol:

I've had a look at Arch and some of its derivatives, but just for fun. Arch looks good for learning because it is so well documented. But for actual daily use, the choice is clear.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Also running several other OSs here, along with Salix.
Tim CowChip wrote:You mentioned 5 OS's. How do you partition?
Using GParted Live CD, current partition scheme is:
  • 1. Windows XP SP 3
  • 2. FreeBSD 9 Beta 2
  • 3/4. Extended
  • 5. Salix Fluxbox 13.37
  • 6. Reserved for Ubuntu or Debian
  • 7. Reserved for Fedora or Debian
  • 8. Linux swap
The first two are Primary partitions while, starting with number 5, the rest are all Logical partitions inside the Extended one.
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

The first two are Primary partitions while, starting with number 5, the rest are all Logical partitions inside the Extended one.
Usually my method also..
My first Linux gets installed and during the Install I partition the Disk with partitions ranging from 50gb to as large as 80gb. The disk size dictates the number of partitions that I make.

Right now........... all my Linuxes are on a large divided Extended Partition on my Laptop..

The primary is still the Windows 7 that came with the Laptop 1 year ago.
I enter the the Windows 7 partition once a Quarter...Updates..don't even have a Mail App set up nor did I install any Apps.
Yet all my Desktops are entirely LInux..

... ummm.. I thought I needed that to cleanse my guilt.. :lol:
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate