wine from source on 64 bit multilib?

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
bret

wine from source on 64 bit multilib?

Post by bret »

Hello,

I am new to Salix/Slackware. I'm running 64 bit Salix 13.37 on a Core 2 Duo system. I've installed multilib with Alien Bob's packages. All seems well.

I've been installing some packages with gslapt and some with Sourcery. I was reading and I noticed this language:
Compiling 32-bit programs

In case you need to compile a 32-bit program (wine and grub are two examples of open source programs that are 32-bit only) you first configure your shell environment by running the command:

. /etc/profile.d/32dev.sh
I didn't do this before installing wine using Sourcery. Did Sourcery handle this issue for wine and other packages, or should I see about reinstalling them?

Thanks,
bret
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: wine from source on 64 bit multilib?

Post by gapan »

Sourcery itself definitely didn't handle this. I don't know if the wine slackbuild does though. If it does, installing through sourcery would have taken care of it. Does wine work for you? If it does, I guess there's nothing to worry about.

Why didn't you install the wine binary with gslapt?
bret

Post by bret »

gapan wrote:Sourcery itself definitely didn't handle this. I don't know if the wine slackbuild does though. If it does, installing through sourcery would have taken care of it. Does wine work for you? If it does, I guess there's nothing to worry about.

Why didn't you install the wine binary with gslapt?
Are you certain that if wine works there will be no concerns? Is that sufficient?

As installed from the Salix disk, my gslapt does not list any wine binary, even after an update. What repository would this be from?

Thanks,
bret
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

bret wrote:Are you certain that if wine works there will be no concerns? Is that sufficient?
If it works, what is there to worry about?
bret wrote:As installed from the Salix disk, my gslapt does not list any wine binary, even after an update. What repository would this be from?
You're right. The wine package is only available in 32bit systems of course. Still, you could have grabbed the wine package from the 32bit repository and installed it manually.
bret

Post by bret »

gapan wrote:
bret wrote:Are you certain that if wine works there will be no concerns? Is that sufficient?
If it works, what is there to worry about?
The possibility that it doesn't work, but appears to for a short time with a few trials. And then fails when I attempt to use it for some particular use which I hadn't gotten around to before.

I test software for a living, and "proof by lack of a counter-example" is always a risk.

So I'm asking if you know that this is a sufficient test to know that wine is installed properly in this case, or if you are just asking a rhetorical question as a way of making conversation. That's fine. I'm just asking for clarification about what you are saying.

Thanks,
bret
Shador

Post by Shador »

If you're building the wine source code (and not wine64 or how it's called) on a 64-bit system with 64-bit toolchain, I'm fairly sure it would have failed. I never tried, but it is "impossible" to build code written SPECIFICALLY for 32bit for a 64bit system. So the logical conclusion would be if the build succeded, you were building for 32bit, thus using a 32bit toolchain. If you want to be sure check the wine SlackBuild.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

bret wrote:The possibility that it doesn't work, but appears to for a short time with a few trials. And then fails when I attempt to use it for some particular use which I hadn't gotten around to before.
This is a case of using the right arch. If it works, it works. If it doesn't work, it doesn't. There's no middle ground.
bret wrote:or if you are just asking a rhetorical question as a way of making conversation.
Yeah, that's it. I don't have anything better to do.
mastrosaffi

Post by mastrosaffi »

Ufff guyz... I play every day WoW on my pc with slackware 64 multilib... It works great!!! :) Just go in slackbuild.org and type in the search field wine, follow the instructions and have fun! In most cases it works ;)
P.S. sorry for my bad english :P
Pai Mei
Donor

Post by Pai Mei »

To bret:

I know that you want to install wine compiling from the source, but why not try to automatize the process?

I'm saying this because I have a multilib system, and I installed wine just to play games. It took two weeks to make all things working. And I stopped my headaches when I automatized the process.

So, I will share to you the the fast track for this:

1) If your multilib system is fully configured (including your video drivers - in my case, NVIDIA- reinstalled for the multilib), grab the latest wine binary package for slackware from winehq.org/site/download/Slackware Packages/. Choose which version you prefer - I choose the x86_64 version.

2) Install your wine version with installpkg. The system won't broke, since the multilib is working.

3) Now the 'ace in the hole'. If you want to install games, you'll to install the directx (for video effects, etc). If you don't reinstall your video driver for the multilib (as Alien Bob's said) you will get a directx error in wine. It took me few days to figure that my video driver (which I forgot to reinstall after I installed the multilib) is generating this error. :shock:

4) Again, another hint. Go to slackbuild.org and download the script to install PlayonLinux. Grab the script, the slack-desk and the doing.sh file. Put them in a specific folder (like /PlayonLinux). Download the latest PlayonLinux.tar.gz from the site (now is 4.0.18), and put in the same script folder. Edit the playonlinux.SlackBuild, the variable VERSION= to match your downloaded version (e.g. 4.0.18...) of PlayonLinux. Run the script, grab the package in /tmp an install it with installpkg...

Why I tell you to install PlayonLinux? Simple. PlayonLinux is a program that downloads and installs all the stuff that is required to run a certain game/app (like fonts, directx drivers, etc...) automatically. If you want to install a game (like, in my case, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within), Playonlinux downloads the correct wine version (since some games only run in certain wine versions... AND when your system is multilib, you don't have to worry that is a 32 or 64 bits version of wine that PlayonLinux want's to install...), install the correct directx and creates a profile from the game. It automatizes all the process(eliminating other errors variables), leaving to the user just to 'click and play'....

So, I hope with this hints aids you, and save your time.

PS: sorry from my bad english.
Linux User #551004
Pentium Core i5-6400
Salix 15 XFCE 64 bits
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Thank you for this tutoriel Pai Mei...I tried it, but didn't found all the steps required to make it run.

For an updated SLKBUILD for PlayOnLinux, here is mine, if you care: http://pastebin.com/SwgHaAKB