GTK+ on steriods - DirectFB and alternatives

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
deja69

GTK+ on steriods - DirectFB and alternatives

Post by deja69 »

From reading a few other posts and for my own experimentation.
I wanted to find various options of adding a bit more pep in the GTK+ libraries and/or extensions to Cairo.(aware i have SDL_libs in GSlapt ;) )

Considering http://directfb.org/ ...just wondering if anyone has any preferences/alternatives.
Walk in a straight line but be aware of 360 degrees kind of thing

Ps..just found OpenSceneGraph and many many bindings and extensions in GSlapt (slaps forehead! :roll: )
..ill shut up ..bye
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: GTK+ on steriods - DirectFB and alternatives

Post by thenktor »

Actually I don't understand what you are trying to do.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Shador

Post by Shador »

deja69 wrote:adding a bit more pep in the GTK+ libraries
Seems like he's too lazy to travel everytime to the PEP in Perlach for shopping. :P Maybe he's trying to desig some new designer drug. Shouldn't let him get too far on that one!.:D
deja69

Post by deja69 »

thenktor wrote:Actually I don't understand what you are trying to do.
:)
Nether do I ..not totally.

Im trying to understand how the GTK+ libs relate to X ..how various GTK+ bindings can be altered..if rewriting C to other languages can offer improvements...and how the whole process in relation to GPU,CPU,can be rethought.
At the same time respect the integrity of the original innovations.

Im not an expert ( i think i have displayed enough evidence of this ) .. and more experienced users and the dev team have the advantage of knowing what restrictions of possibility there are.And accordingly,you will accept them as standard,or view them as a challenge.

Ask yourself the differences of working,between a university graduate and a hobbyist?
A university graduate will have more access to resources,but their learning environment is riddled with social engineers,professors protecting their intellectual copyrights ( question whether the idea is truely legitimate under independent scrutiny )and your mindset is geared towards being a pliant servant to the commercial world ...essentially,if you attend university ...you learn ' how things are DONE',and usually in a conservative and manipulative way.
A hobbyist wont have the resources,and will probably make more mistakes,but they are probably more open to new ways of thinking.
After all,someone who doesnt make mistakes,is an absolute fool.

I give an example...there was a story about a military landing strip in Antarctica,around the strip was a colony of penguins.
The story said,that when the aeroplanes landed and took off,the penguins would watch them,problem was, if the aeroplanes flew over their heads,the penguins would lose their balance and fall on their backs,unable to get up!
Therefore,the military dispatched a Penguin Task Force,a group that went around the strip picking all the penguins off their backs :)
I heard it so many times,and moreso ...i WANTED to believe it !...it was cute and funny.
But it was not true,but a story worth telling. ;)

Understand?
Shador

Post by Shador »

deja69 wrote:you learn ' how things are DONE'
No, you don't learn how they're done. You learn how things work. That's quite a difference. If you just finish your studies, but don't try to DO things on your own, you can't do pretty much anything. You just know how things works and how you could learn how to do them. At least that's the way it is here and it's not that bad either.
deja69

Post by deja69 »

Maybe tangible examples are more entertaining than idle speculation.
And a far more productive way of 'giving something back' :)

I will keep working towards a 'narcotic-free' solution ;)
Keep fighting the brain death epidemic

Thanks Shador :)
deja69

Post by deja69 »

Last reflective post on this matter.
But,this is the nearest I could find that has similar objectives,maybe..GTK support too.
Just I have a dual core environment,and feeling inspired by OCaml.

http://funk2.org/about/

Basically POSIX threading
Reinventing wheels that have already been reinvented ;)
But tourism proves landscapes are no less beautiful if they seen by many.

See what you think,i think it raises some challenges.

PS.Just found a cool page with an exhaustive amount of bookmarks from a guy called Gene Cooperman,not sure if you want to do a Doc add?

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/gene/cs-info.html