Desktop Rankings

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
deja69

Desktop Rankings

Post by deja69 »

Have been researching MATE,nice project..and was curious about totrtoisehg-caja,access to Mercurial goodies?
Apparently,theres a similar project called BlueBubble for Fedora,i heard SalixOS/Slackware has the ability to assimilate RPM's so it might be a suitable companion for MATE.
Info here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=121162

Anyway,i found this during my searches,a reasonable report on comparisons of desktops.I thought some might find it useful.

http://linux-news.org/index.php/2011/08 ... -and-lxde/

Theres a nice tip for LXDE in comments,about changing the update interval to reduce the CPU rate.
Be cool to do an update highlighting a wider selection of desktops,even the differences between distributions and kernels.
Although i personally dont need another distribution,i might gather together my SalixOS flavor ISO's and do some benchmarking,lets see what my crappy old laptop coughs out :)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Desktop Rankings

Post by JRD »

Ahhhhh I have enough !!
I cannot understand any of your posts !!
You speak about something non-understandable without describing of making an introduction.
Furthermore, you speak about RPM on a board about Slackware...and you post a link to Arch Linux...what is the link/relation ?

Stop doing that immediately, I'm very annoyed.
Sorry for others readers who could think I'm rude...
fredg

Post by fredg »

I agree, please deja69, stop posting just for posting.

This is a support forum, so post when you have a question, you can read this on how to do that in a way that people will want to try to help you:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Or, of course, you can post whan you have answers ;)

I'm afraid that from post to post you will be considered as "spam", people will no more read you and you will not be able to get some help if needed.

Thanks for your understanding.

++
deja69

Post by deja69 »

1. MATE + BlueBubble (Fedora) = Similar projects

2. Simple Desktop Comparison Article

3 .Colloquial English

Ps .Sorry to upset you JRD ,just to say ..SaLT is genius ..it has so much potential too .. but i dare not ask you more about it ....i will stop posting ..the way i speak annoys people ..but i can not help it ... i am English ...and i hate it here too .
Hope all your Salix futures are bright :D

Pps. ummmm...how do I de-register?
Shador

Post by Shador »

It's just stuff like this article is better put on some social media channel like twitter, identi.ca, fb, ... where people can decide whether they want to follow you. Nobody minds if you share the articles you liked in such a place. Probably people with matching interest or similar topics would welcome this. But as fredg mentioned too a support forum is not your personal wall. The usage of those has been criticized as well. Like people psting about texture while on the toilet. ;) Obviously you're far from that.

Actually there is no problem if you start some off-topic discussion or share some great article. But if there are just too many of those great articles, they can't be so special after all. Preferrably they are on-topic i.e. about Salix or obviously related with current topics for Salix. Again, off-topic is ok too. But like with medicine the amount matters a lot.
Being as short and precise as possible while still easy to understand is a good idea too. And sometimes entertaining remarks, smilies and a clear optical structure can make a long text a lot better readable and worth to continue reading.

In the end nobody can give you a one fits them all solution. Social interaction can be quite tricky sometimes especially in the internet where many intuitive and subconcious human reactions are not visible by both ends.
And rest assured that nobody is mad at you. Communities all have their silently agreed to rules which can make it hard for newcomers. By pointing out to you that there might be problems in the future like people stopping to read you, we are trying to help you and to help you become an accepted part of the community. It's nothing personal or bad. Everybody experiences this at one pint or anoher. :)

Oops, I like that last typo. :mrgreen:
deja69

Post by deja69 »

Thanks for the previous link.fredg ,it helps and i understand.
I am not feeling trolled by anyone,more angry with myself for upsetting people.
I live in England,in communities where people are miserable,pathetic and just a little bit stupid.
Being around individuals with healthy focus,means I was maybe,too eager to be helpful.

Anyway,no more posts...any more communication will be in .tgz/.txz results.

Have fun :) and do not drink ....too much,anyway ;)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

deja69 wrote:Have been researching MATE,nice project..and was curious about totrtoisehg-caja,access to Mercurial goodies?
What the h... :?:
3 .Colloquial English
Please have in mind that here are quite no native English speakers. While I usually have no problem to understand the meaning of postings by people who cannot speak English very well I am already wondering what you are talking about in the first sentence.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
deja69

Post by deja69 »

thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I've never seen that movie in English ;)
Der schwarze Ritter triumphiert immer!
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)