Skype-4.0.0.7 installed

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
Atip

Skype-4.0.0.7 installed

Post by Atip »

I installed skype-4.0.0.7-suse.i586.rpm with rpm -i --nodeps since I could not find anymore a
static version for slackware. To run skype I had to install as well rpm -i --nodeps libstdc++6-4.7.0-0.6-mdv2012.0.i586.rpm.

So far this version of skype seems to be working properly. I put it into me home directory.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Skype-4.0.0.7 installed

Post by thenktor »

Well, messing with system libraries might not be the best idea... :roll:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

Look up for a static version of Skype that you can run directly from a folder or from a USB stick for that matter, instead of fiddling with your system.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I agree, the full-static version is running correctly. No need to have a .rpm package installed.
But of course, it's skype, and it tries to read and do-who-ever-know-what with the data it found in ~/.
I see some folks here that run skype in a jail (with chroot). I didn't set up a thing like that yet, but I think it could be a good idea to prevent skype from reading our data without consentement.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

JRD wrote:I see some folks here that run skype in a jail (with chroot). I didn't set up a thing like that yet, but I think it could be a good idea to prevent skype from reading our data without consentement.
Haha :lol: Sounds great! Is there an easy guide for chroot to "jail" applications in the system?
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Atip wrote:I installed skype-4.0.0.7-suse.i586.rpm with rpm -i --nodeps since I could not find anymore a
static version for slackware. To run skype I had to install as well rpm -i --nodeps libstdc++6-4.7.0-0.6-mdv2012.0.i586.rpm.

So far this version of skype seems to be working properly. I put it into me home directory.
It is better to not use static version for skype.
There is a dynamic as also a static version for slackware/salix.
Here is a dynamic version i use skype-4.0.0.7 for slackware/salix
Here is the static version 4.0.0.7 of skype for slackware/salix
For skype-static you have also to create a link (ln -sf /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3.9.6 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4)
Shador

Post by Shador »

zAchAry wrote:
JRD wrote:I see some folks here that run skype in a jail (with chroot). I didn't set up a thing like that yet, but I think it could be a good idea to prevent skype from reading our data without consentement.
Haha :lol: Sounds great! Is there an easy guide for chroot to "jail" applications in the system?
I know about two occurences where I've written about setting up/using a chroot recently:
http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 74&p=22205
http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 31&p=19498

Here's a more recent version of the script in the second post that works with skype (I actually use it to run skype on my 64bit system): http://gaia.homelinux.org/misc/switch32
Atip

Post by Atip »

djemos wrote:
Atip wrote:I installed skype-4.0.0.7-suse.i586.rpm with rpm -i --nodeps since I could not find anymore a

It is better to not use static version for skype.
There is a dynamic as also a static version for slackware/salix.
Here is a dynamic version i use skype-4.0.0.7 for slackware/salix
Here is the static version 4.0.0.7 of skype for slackware/salix
For skype-static you have also to create a link (ln -sf /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3.9.6 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4)
Thanks! Works fine. Got rid of the rpm. It is just that in skype.com Downloads there is no more
static/dynamic version offered unlike before.

Code: Select all

Download now | ▼ Select your Linux distribution
Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit
Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit
Debian 6.0 32-bit
Debian 6.0 64-bit
Fedora 16 32bit
OpenSUSE 12.1 32bit
That's all.
Alex

Post by Alex »