[solved] cdrtools upgrade needed

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
Adys

[solved] cdrtools upgrade needed

Post by Adys »

About 2 months ago, Slackware current updated cdrtools, from 3.01a02 to 3.01a07.

There is a (regression) bug in mkisofs (part of cdrtools) introduced in 3.01a05, and it is still present in 3.01a07.

Yesterday (2012AUG15), cdrtools 3.01a08 was released, and the bug is supposed to be resolved. (Note: I can't confirm if the bug was effectively resolved, as I am not a developer.)

Since Slackware 14.0 RC2 is already out, I was hoping that someone in The Salix Team would be willing to follow the necessary steps so the developer(s) of Slackware would update cdrtools to 3.01a08 (from the current 3.01a07) before the final stable Slackware 14 would be out (Note: I don't know if there are any other factors to be considered.).

FWIW, here are some more details about the specific bug I am referring to:

In mkisofs 3.010a05, a new "-modification-date" option was added, but it also broke the standard "creation date and time" field, making the resulting ISO images incompatible with the ECMA119 standard. Some archive / file managers that follow ECMA119 were unable to open those resulting ISO images.

Since Salix Team members probably already know the necessary steps to make this happen (update cdrtools in Slackware current before Slackware 14 final), maybe someone could take this request upstream ASAP?

TIA.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: cdrtools

Post by gapan »

This probably explains why iso images created with our current mkisofs don't open with engrampa. They do open with isomaster though.
Adys

Post by Adys »

gapan wrote:This probably explains why iso images created with our current mkisofs don't open with engrampa. They do open with isomaster though.
Exactly :!: . Some versions of file roler (GNOME) and its fork engrampa (MATE) demand for the ISO image to be 100% compatible with ECMA119.

mkisofs 3.01a05 to -a07 fail to correctly create the "creation date and time" field (it fills it with spaces, 0x20). cdrtools 3.01a08 corrects this regression.

Every tool using 7-zip to operate on ISO images, whether under Linux or Windows systems, will "show you" the defective ISO image by refusing to open it.

isoinfo (also part of cdrtools) won't show the problem, but iat (Windows-based tool) will.

This "must" be reported in time to Pat, before 14.0 final is out, so he updates to cdrtools 3.01a08.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Adys wrote:This "must" be reported in time to Pat, before 14.0 final is out, so he updates to cdrtools 3.01a08.
Update is available in current now.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)