bashburn, zenity, lua

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: WIP: bashburn, zenity, lua

Post by gapan »

mate-dialogs is required to build several mate related packages. It is also hard-wired in several mate packages. So, there is no way we can replace it for MATE, and since we cannot replace it for MATE, we'd better use it for everything else too.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

How could it be "hard-wired" ? It's just a binary called from shell script. Create another script or alias named "matedialogs" and the "hard-wired" is gone. It's not a library.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

It is hard-wired, because it is called directly by many different mate packages. In order to remove it, you'd probably need to patch almost everything in MATE and I'm not doing that.

Creating a symlink could work, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. As you said yad has more features. Yad would need to have the exact same syntax with mate-dialogs and support everything mate-dialogs does in exactly the same way (just as mate-dialogs does for zenity). If you can guarantee that MATE works with a symlink and that yad will continue to be compatible in the future, it might work.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I agree. I will check if this is possible using these constraints. If not, then I drop it.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

mimosa wrote:
lua may be biting off more than I can chew, but I'd like to try and see ;)
lua 5.1 or 5.2? and tolua++ would be nice for enabling lua in conky.
ImageImage
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I assume, whatever the latest version is. Or are there reasons to retain an older version, as is the case with Python?

tolua++ is available from slapt-src - but perhaps that version isn't compatible with the most recent lua? On their website, I see there is a link to a 'tolua 5.2.0 version'. Maybe that will appear on slackbuilds.org for 14.0.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

mimosa wrote:I assume, whatever the latest version is. Or are there reasons to retain an older version, as is the case with Python?

tolua++ is available from slapt-src - but perhaps that version isn't compatible with the most recent lua? On their website, I see there is a link to a 'tolua 5.2.0 version'. Maybe that will appear on slackbuilds.org for 14.0.
both lua 5.1 and 5.2 are also available from slapt-src.
ImageImage
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I don't know why Lua was packaged for 13.37, but that's the only reason I'm (fingers crossed) packaging it for current. As I understand it, the policy is if something's available from slackbuilds.org, don't package it unless there's a "good reason".
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

JRD wrote:Btw, no deps ? no it cannot, it has at least GTK.
I guess he means no deps except the ones that every base system already has ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

mimosa wrote:As I understand it, the policy is if something's available from slackbuilds.org, don't package it unless there's a "good reason".
I don't this this is right. The way I understand it is that you are free to package any application and submitt for inclusion in the binary repo (slapt-get). Any dependencies that the package requires must also be included in the binary repo. So if slapt-get doesn't have a dependency available for your package then you must summit a package for it also.

Regarding lua, although Slackbuild has a SLACKBUILD for both 5.1 and 5.2, they recommend that you use 5.1 since most of the packages on Slackbuild only work with 5.1. I was building a package tonight that requires lua and found that it wouldn't build with 5.2 so I reverted to 5.1 and it built without problems. Since I will be submitting the package for inclusion in the binary repo, a lua package needs to be summit also. I've already have a built lua 5.1.5 so I can summit it if your not going build one.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"