how instal salix os to replace fedora 17

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
0neD

how instal salix os to replace fedora 17

Post by 0neD »

hi all, i'm newbie user linux.. :oops: i has try ubuntu an fedora.. and now i want try slackware or inheritance of slackware..
my computer has i use with dual boots fedora 17 and seven.. if i want replace fedora 17 with salixOS, will system replace it's automatic for me? or i must do it manual?

and if i must do it manual, where i can get tutorial for do it (i mean set dual boot with seven)?
sorry if my tongue it's not good enough.. ( i'm indonesian )
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: how instal salix os to replace fedora 17

Post by mimosa »

Welcome to Salix :)

Your best bet may be to use Salix Live, which has a very user-friendly graphical installer. I'm assuming you want to install Salix over the top of your current fedora installation, so you need to know which partition that is.

The first thing is to back up your data - obviously anything in the Fedora partition you want to keep, because you're going to wipe that, but also the Windows partition, becuse although it's very unlikely anything will go wrong, data loss is always possible.

Then run the graphical installer. There is a launcher for it on the Salix live desktop. You can test it out without doing anything - it is quite clear when you are committing yourself to actually install Salix.

Also, if you haven't already tried Salix Live, this is a good opportunty to make sure you like it and everything works ok before committing yourself to an actual installation.

Note that the default username is "one", and the root password is "live".

Do have a look at the Salix User Guide (link on the homepage I think).

However you install Salix, the final step is to install the Lilo bootloader (you can use Grub instead if you want, but the automatic tools use Lilo so that's probably the most straighforward way). When you have told the installer about your bootable partitions, including Windows, you will be able to boot into them at login.

If you do have any problems, just boot back into the live cd and ask for help here.
0neD

Post by 0neD »

thanks you mimosa..
i has try salix with live usb.. but i have problem connecting to my internet..
i use usb modem cdma (huawei).. can salix create auto like another distro??
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Try searching this forum for "Huawei" or Sakis-3g. Is this 3G internet? I haven't heard of cdma before.

As I remember that is a bit tricky, though there is a solution here that worked for at least some users. In Salix 14.0 I think it will be easier.

Please post back if you can't find anything that works. In any case, you probably need to download some stuff to solve it, so if you can get temporary access to an ethernet connection it will be easier.

Before going through all that, I suggest you create persistent storage, if you haven't already. This isn't something you want to sort out all over again every time you boot. :)

EDIT Don't know if it works, but I think this is what I was thinking of:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... -a-943335/

You will already have wicd, so omit step 1.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I have built the package for 13.37. I don't know if it works, but it probably does. All you need to do is download this file:

http://people.salixos.org/mimosa/packag ... ch-1gv.txz

Then, as root, go to the directory where you downloaded it and do:

Code: Select all

#spkg -i sakis3g-0.2.0e-noarch-1gv.txz
It should then appear under the Network menu.

It should work for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.