gtkpod: What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
jayseye

gtkpod: What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Post by jayseye »

The latest gtkpod requires anjuta, which in turn requires vte3. So far this seems to be the most promising build, though I'm concerned about compatibility:

< http://slackblogs.blogspot.com/2012/10/ ... build.html >

As background, I'd like to eliminate use of Windows for iTunes. Currently I'm using that to load audio podcasts on an old iPod Shuffle. Previously I used Amarok under Slackware 12.2. However, that stopped working at some point, following an update.

Any ideas / suggestions? Thanks!
hakerdefo

Re: gtkpod: What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Post by hakerdefo »

jayseye wrote:As background, I'd like to eliminate use of Windows for iTunes. Currently I'm using that to load audio podcasts on an old iPod Shuffle. Previously I used Amarok under Slackware 12.2. However, that stopped working at some point, following an update.

Any ideas / suggestions? Thanks!
Clementine is what i would suggest to you. Probably the best music player-manager available at the moment.
You can read more about clementine on my blog here: http://hakerdefo.blogspot.in/2013/02/cl ... nizer.html
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Thanks hakerdefo. While Clementine was "inspired by" Amarok 1.4, it lacked support for iPods the last time I checked. Either that, or Clementine was still missing support for podcasts. Or both. I may be confusing one or the other feature with Amarok 2.x, which lacked support for both iPods and podcasts when I last checked.

Anyway I did get gtkpod built, installed, and running under Slackel Openbox Edition, which is based on Salix and Slackware -current. So far gtkpod can read my old iPod Shuffle, though it reports an error with one of the database files. So I've yet to test writing anything to the iPod.

While gtkpod is a good first step, it lacks podcast support. In the past I found it very tedious to handle podcasts in another program (GPodder), then sync to the iPod though gtkpod. I've tried several "podcatcher" programs, and none of them could successfully connect to the iPod Shuffle.

Since then, all the podcatchers have come out with new versions which have mostly dropped iPod support. GPodder, Rhythmbox, and Exaile are the ones which come to mind. Perhaps one or more of them have now restored device support; my next step will be to check that.
hakerdefo

Post by hakerdefo »

jayseye wrote:Thanks hakerdefo. While Clementine was "inspired by" Amarok 1.4, it lacked support for iPods the last time I checked. Either that, or Clementine was still missing support for podcasts. Or both. I may be confusing one or the other feature with Amarok 2.x, which lacked support for both iPods and podcasts when I last checked.
Then you need to recheck my friend. Here's the quotes from official clementine features list,
"Discover and download Podcasts."
"Copy music to your iPod, iPhone, MTP or mass-storage USB player."
And there's a slackbuild available maintained by David Woodfall. You can get it here,
http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.0/ ... lementine/
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Thanks, will definitely have to check that out later! Taking a break first for dessert :cool:

Meanwhile, if you still happen to be online, do you recall whether Clementine is written in C# / Mono? That might have been yet another reason why I had previously bypassed it. It's just a preference though, rather than a deal breaker. :-|
hakerdefo

Post by hakerdefo »

jayseye wrote:Meanwhile, if you still happen to be online, do you recall whether Clementine is written in C# / Mono?
C++
Here's the complete detail
http://www.ohloh.net/p/clementine-playe ... es_summary
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Thanks again. Found a binary for Clementine version 1.0.1, though podcast support came later, with version 1.1. Slackel has a customized Slackbuild for version 1.1.1, so I downloaded that...

It has several dependencies, some of which may be available as binaries, so will sort that out in the morning. Seems very promising. Clementine users tend to be very enthusiastic.

Meanwhile, trying to check the dependencies, I just found that a recent update to gpm (the mouse utility) now causes mc (a text-based console file manager) to fail. So resolving that takes priority. Appears to be a missing symlink :roll:
hakerdefo

Post by hakerdefo »

Wishing you all the luck with that missing symlink ;) And yes Clementine users are enthusiastic, at least i am :D And once you got the Clementine running i'm sure you will like it. Satisfaction guaranteed ;)
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Thanks, your good wishes may have helped: I devised a working symlink after getting some sleep. :wink: Then it turned out that djemos had previously posted about the issue, along with a similar solution, on his Slackel website. It was hidden in plain sight, right on the front page. :-| So I've asked about e-mail notifications for stuff like that, and maybe Dimitris will figure out a way to provide them :cool:

Latest challenge in my Clementine adventure is finding a library called libgpod-devel. The good part is, today I learned that Clementine is included with either the Salix KDE Beta, or Slackel KDE Edition. (I forget which, so clearly it's time to call it a night again.) In any case, obviously it can be built and, like Siddhartha, I can fast, I can wait, and I can... um, probably remember the third one in the morning. :grin:
hakerdefo

Post by hakerdefo »

jayseye wrote:The good part is, today I learned that Clementine is included with either the Salix KDE Beta, or Slackel KDE Edition. (I forget which, so clearly it's time to call it a night again.) In any case, obviously it can be built and, like Siddhartha, I can fast, I can wait, and I can... um, probably remember the third one in the morning. :grin:
Clementine is default in Slackel KDE. And like Siddhartha you can think, you can wait and may be skip the 'fast' part of the quote cause in the morning you will need breakfast ;)