gtkpod: What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
hakerdefo

Re: gtkpod: What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Post by hakerdefo »

mimosa wrote:Sounds like *third world* internet :twisted:
If Western europe-US & Canada-Aus & NZ-Japan are considered first world and Asia-Africa-South and central America are third world then where the hell is second world?!? And how is Internet service there? Mr. mimosa any idea ;)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I just meant your internet sounds quite like mine. ;)

I'm not sure but I think what might have been called the 2nd world was actually the "new world" (as in Dvorak's symphony of that name, written on visiting the USA). I suppose it would be fair to say one and two (new) have merged. And three is catching up fast. Or maybe someone just can't count.

Anyway all wildly off-topic.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Yes, way off-topic, though it's a good enough question to get me Quacking. Actually I've wondered about that for a long time. As usual, the Duck sent me to Wikipedia which provides the answer; from < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World >:

"...the Communist Bloc (with the Soviet Union, China, Cuba and their allies representing the Second World.)"

Would be nice if a normal user here could move part(s) of their own threads to the Salix Pub. That's likely beyond phpBB capabilities, and I'm just grateful when the Forum is running reliably. :wink:

On that note, Akuna mentioned earlier that he'll be taking the server down for a couple hours of diagnostics. Unclear to me, based on timezone differences, whether that's already occurred.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Re: server maintenance, done and dusted. Done,anyway :)

Moderators can split threads. Or if such a side discussion really takes off, the participants can always decamp consensually.

EDIT
[No pun intended]

Interesting how the world moves on, leaving behind linguistic flotsam. Indeed, till the Berlin Wall fell, it was one of the most important divisions. The term "third world" may have been intended to draw attention to another one, perhaps unduly neglected at the time. People also sometimes refer to "the (global) South" in a similar way. Not quite sure how Autralasia fits in there ...
hakerdefo

Post by hakerdefo »

@jayseye: wow! You found the second world! Communist block is or was called second world; i didn't know that! Thanks! And by the way or more accurately coming back to way, did you get clementine running or not?
@mimosa: Hey man its just that i hate the term 'third world'. It reeks of imperialism! You too are a victim of internet blues?
hakerdefo

Post by hakerdefo »

mimosa wrote:I just meant your internet sounds quite like mine. ;)
Hey mimosa you are the moderator of Fórum Português so where are you from? Portugal? probably no. lemme make a guess, you are from the land of samba lions and football BRAZIL. Right?!?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I come from the grandfather of imperialism - England. But Brazil is my adopted home. And yes, the internet sucks.
hakerdefo

Post by hakerdefo »

mimosa wrote:I come from the grandfather of imperialism - England. But Brazil is my adopted home. And yes, the internet sucks.
A Brit living in Brazil! Interesting! So who do you support when England lions play Brazil in a football match?!? And do they play cricket in Brazil?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Neither one. I don't think winning international competitions is good for countries that think they're brilliant at football. I have a weakness for the underdog.

Never seen cricket here!