[SOLVED] Having Trouble Installing gthumb in Salix64 14.1

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
TracyTiger

[SOLVED] Having Trouble Installing gthumb in Salix64 14.1

Post by TracyTiger »

After installing Salix64 14.1 I'm having trouble building the gthumb 3.2.4 package. The CD I built with had verified checksums.

When using Sorcery after fetching the files the first and last few lines of the log are ...

Code: Select all

gthumb-3.2.4/
gthumb-3.2.4/copy-n-paste/
gthumb-3.2.4/copy-n-paste/eggdesktopfile.c
gthumb-3.2.4/copy-n-paste/eggsmclient-private.h
<snip>
checking for glib-genmarshal... /usr/bin/glib-genmarshal
checking for glib-mkenums... /usr/bin/glib-mkenums
checking for glib-compile-resources... /usr/bin/glib-compile-resources
checking for itstool... no
configure: error: itstool not found
fakeroot -- sh gthumb.SlackBuild Failed
Using "sudo spi -i gthumb" results in the same error.

I didn't find itstool in the repository. Is this part of the toolchain rather than a dependency just for gthumb?

I used Gslapt to check for updates to the Salix64 14.1 release and none were found.

I tried the executing the gthumb.Slackbuild from slackbuilds.org to see if the error changed but I got the same results.

I changed the preferences in Sourcery to use sbo before slkbuild but the results were the same. I'm using the default repository hostingextreme.com and only modified the list order.

At this point I'm guessing that the gthumb build, or one of its dependencies, requires itstool and I don't have it. :)

This is my first day attempting to use Sourcery or spi so I'm may be making a simple procedural mistake. However I was able to build and install shotwell 0.15 using spi. The references I found on this forum (in English) regarding gthumb were mostly for version Salix 13.37 and were ultimately successful.

Am I following the correct procedure and I just need to go to itstool.org and build version 2.02 separately? So far I've just been trying to build gthumb using the straight forward Salix process. I'm trying to learn the normal Salix method first.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by TracyTiger on 28. Mar 2014, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
knome
Donor

Re: Having Trouble Installing gthumb in Salix64 14.1

Post by knome »

Can you recheck whether itstool is in the repository? I'm running 14.0 and it's available in the Salix repos. It won't show up in Sourcery if it's already available in the Salix repos i.e. via Gslapt or slapt-get.

As I say, I'm running 14.0 so my advice is a bit "blind" for 14.1.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

TracyTiger wrote:I didn't find itstool in the repository.
Yes it is in the salix 14.1 repo:

Code: Select all

rich@dads-laptop:~$ sudo slapt-get --se itstool
itstool-1.2.0-x86_64-1 [inst=no]: itstool (Translate XML documents with PO files)
itstool-2.0.2-noarch-1gv [inst=yes]: itstool (Translate XML documents with PO files)
or

“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
TracyTiger

SOLVED: Having Trouble Installing gthumb in Salix64 14.1

Post by TracyTiger »

It won't show up in Sourcery if it's already available in the Salix repos i.e. via Gslapt or slapt-get.
That's the key!
Thanks knome !!!

So it was a process error on my part.

itstool shows up in the standard repository.

itstool 1.2.0-x86_64-1 (Location: Applications)
itstool 2.02-noarch-1gv (Location: Development Tools)

I installed the istool 1.2.0-x86_64-1 using Gslapt.
Then I used Sourcery to build/install gthumb 3.2.4.

gthumb now shows up under Graphics applications and appears to work.

I understand a little better how the program repositories are arranged. Now I'll know how to handle this in the future.

EDIT: Thanks laprjns. I was typing as you were responding.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Salix has limited dependency managaement for the slackbuilds repository, in the sense that if a dependency is available from Salix repsoitories, that package is given precedence. So when you search using Sourcery, it won't even appear. However, the dependency information itself is only as good as what is provided by the maintainer at slackbuilds,org, and as in this case, probably won't include build depenencies. It's always worth looking at the README, which sometimes mentions such things or any configuration steps needed. This information can be accessed in Sourcery at the time you select an item to build.
TracyTiger

Post by TracyTiger »

Thanks for the information mimosa

I've not used any dependency management system before. I've only just compiled software manually or used slackbuilds.org scripts. I like all of the choices the Salix/Slackware environment provides.