chkconfig not found

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
maspai

chkconfig not found

Post by maspai »

I use a USB CDMA modem at home for internet and most time works nice by just using nm-applet. But it's prepaid and nm-applet surely doesn't notify when the credit is 0 :-). Actually there's an app made by the ISP to handle modem operations (http://computechtips.com/wp-content/upl ... s-8-07.png), such as connecting to internet, SMS and phone service, so I can use it to see how much the remaining credit. Installation of the app worked when once I used Ubuntu, but tried it in Salix and an error said:

Code: Select all

sudo: /sbin/chkconfig: command not found
I found http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... re-277718/.
Thanks for help.
sorry for my noob-ness guys, i'm new in linux and salix.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: chkconfig not found

Post by mimosa »

Is the source code for the app available?
maspai

Post by maspai »

mimosa wrote:Is the source code for the app available?
I'm afraid not. There are several files but seem not source code. Executable file to start installation looks like a bash script, and there's also a binary .bin file.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

In that case, I'm afraid I doubt there's anything you can do.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

As that forum topic you found says, chkconfig is a tool that configures services for distributions that use a different system than Slackware/Salix does. Naturally, this tool doesn't work in Slackware/Salix. There are other tools that do the same thing, but not chkconfig in specific. If the software you're trying to use is proprietary and it only supports chkconfig, you're out of luck.
maspai

Post by maspai »

gapan wrote:As that forum topic you found says, chkconfig is a tool that configures services for distributions that use a different system than Slackware/Salix does. Naturally, this tool doesn't work in Slackware/Salix. There are other tools that do the same thing, but not chkconfig in specific. If the software you're trying to use is proprietary and it only supports chkconfig, you're out of luck.
May be I'm :-(. Anyway, I use the app mostly just to see the remaining credit. Can you recommend any app to send SMS via CDMA card inside the modem? Since I check credit by sending SMS to the provider. I heard about wammu/gammu and once used it without luck, it didn't detect my modem or didn't recognize modem as mobile.
Thanks so much before.