kernel upgrade

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
eddieb

kernel upgrade

Post by eddieb »

I have searched for the answer to this to no avail. I have Salix running 3.2.45 installed and want to upgrade to the 3.16 kernel but I get to the "make" part and shortly into it, I get the "/bin/sh: bc: command not found" error. Seems to be a great divide between the 3.8.x kernels and the 3.9.x kernels. Is there a way around this? Reason I want to upgrade is because my Wi-Fi card, rt3290 is not supported till I upgrade.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: kernel upgrade

Post by mimosa »

You are probably going about building the kernel correctly, but just in case, it may be worth checking out the instructions on the wiki, if you haven't already.

However, it sounds as though you're running an older version of Salix - 14.1 has the 3.10.17 kernel, if I remember correctly. Such a big jump may lead to problems with other components. If so, it may be simpler to upgrade to 14.1, and then upgrade the kernel from there, if necessary.
eddieb

Post by eddieb »

Ok thanks. Kinda what I expected. Guess there I'd a download in my future.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

eddieb wrote:... I get the "/bin/sh: bc: command not found" error...
Then why not just install bc?
eddieb

Post by eddieb »

Have no internet on my laptop. That's the problem. My card is not supported in the earlier kernel
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Then download the package from another PC, put it in a usb flash drive and install it in your laptop.
eddieb

Post by eddieb »

I broke down and downloaded 14.1 Mate and it picked up my internet immediately.