Newer kernels?

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
jsfarinet

Newer kernels?

Post by jsfarinet »

Is there a way to get a newer kernel than the 3.10-17 one (in siduction e.g. they are at 3.17.3 or so). I'm asking because i think there are some improvements in that newer kernels for radeon support - specifically suspend and overheating.

TIA
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Newer kernels?

Post by gapan »

You can try the kernels from slackware-current. They usually work with no problems. Other than that, you can always compile your own kernel. It really isn't that hard. I think there's a tutorial in the wiki.
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

gapan wrote:You can try the kernels from slackware-current. They usually work with no problems. Other than that, you can always compile your own kernel. It really isn't that hard. I think there's a tutorial in the wiki.
Thanks. How would i add slackware-current to the Salix repositories? I went to http://docs.slackware.com/slackware:current but i see, there are some differences to how in /etc/ the repositories are organized. Could i simply fill in the mirror quoted there?

Moreover i see, in /ect/slapt-get/slapt-get.rc there is a statement

Code: Select all

# Exclude package names and expressions.
# To exclude pre and beta packages, add this to the exclude:
#   [0-9\_\.\-]{1}pre[0-9\-\.\-]{1}
EXCLUDE=^aaa_elflibs,^aaa_base,^devs,^glibc.*,^kernel-.*,^udev,^rootuser-settings,^zzz-settings.*,-i?86-
which seems to exclude kernels? Should i comment that out?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

jsfarinet wrote:How would i add slackware-current to the Salix repositories?
You don't. Unless you want a broken system. You manually download the respective kernel-* packages (except kernel-headers) and install them with spkg. Don't forget to run lilo afterwards.
jsfarinet wrote:Moreover i see, in /ect/slapt-get/slapt-get.rc there is a statement...
which seems to exclude kernels? Should i comment that out?
Nope. Never do that. You don't want kernels to be upgraded without you really knowing it.
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

Thanks for all that infos. I hope i'll get thru (this is an aspect that seemed a bit easier to me over there in the debian world ;-) ).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

jsfarinet wrote:this is an aspect that seemed a bit easier to me over there in the debian world ;-)
It definitely isn't. Try running debian stable and then grabbing only a handful of packages (and those only) from unstable. Good luck with that!