Adding another Linux to LILO

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
macondo

Adding another Linux to LILO

Post by macondo »

I have Salix 14.2 with:

sda1= swap
sda2= root

I want to install Devuan with NO bootloader using Salix LILO, and putting this at the bottom of my /etc/lilo.config, will this suffice?

Code: Select all

other = /dev/sdax
label = Devuan
# lilo -v
#reboot

I want to make sure it boots...
Thanks,
westms

Re: Adding another Linux to LILO

Post by westms »

Probably not. Two regular procedures:

Possibility number 1:
If Devuan has its own partitions (root with boot in it), then the following is a pattern:

image=/mnt/devuan/boot/vmlinuz # <- Devuan's real kernel name
#  initrd=/mnt/devuan/boot/initrd.img # <- Devuan's real initrd name, if needed
  root=/dev/sdaX
  label=Devuan
#  append="" # <- within the double quotes add your Devuan kernel parameters, or
#  addappend="" # <- your Devuan kernel parameters to be appended to the default ones
  read-only
Assuming that the boot management is on Salix, then /mnt/devuan is a mount point on the Salix file system and the target must be mounted during the program run 'lilo -v'. With every change to the boot directory of Salix, as well as that of Devuan, on Salix the target has to be re-mounted and lilo re-run. The target is the boot directory on the Devuan system.

Possibility number 2:
When Devuan has its kernel (and its initrd) in the Salix boot directory, then the following is a pattern:

image=/boot/vmlinuz # <- Devuan's real kernel name
#  initrd=/boot/initrd.img # <- Devuan's real initrd name, if needed
  root=/dev/sdaX
  label=Devuan
#  append="" # <- within the double quotes add your Devuan kernel parameters, or
#  addappend="" # <- your Devuan kernel parameters to be appended to the default ones
  read-only
Is this helpful?

Good luck.