Icewm ugly fonts

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
laslo_one

Icewm ugly fonts

Post by laslo_one »

Hey, guys! I'm new to this forum, but i run Slackware (Salix) for quite a long time now.
All this time i've been using XFCE or LXDE and i didn't have any problems with font rendering, but
recently i've installed salix core + icewm and my fonts are very ugly. Here is what i've tried
to do to improve my font rendering problem:

1. I've recompiled freetype with subpixel rendering option
2. I've installed extra fonts (+ Windows 8 fonts)
cd /etc/fonts/conf.d
ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-hinting-full.conf (I use 10-hinting-slight.conf, but you mentioned you like full)
ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf
ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/11-lcdfilter-default.conf

Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
Xft.rgba: rgb
Xft.autohint: 0
What else could i do??

Here how my fonts look like
https://pasteboard.co/IiAfZZ2.png
icanttellyou

Re: Icewm ugly fonts

Post by icanttellyou »

Image not found.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Fonts on icewm are fine here. Since you installed the core group of packages of salix, you miss packages need from basic group.
Run

Code: Select all

sudo update-all
to see if this solves the problem.
laslo_one

Post by laslo_one »

Thanks for your answers!
And could you tell me, guys, should i recompile freetype with subpixel option if i have a monitor with TN+film matrix?!
Tanker_5455

Post by Tanker_5455 »

I'm not the OP but you should, it did the trick for me, I now have normal fonts.
I had missed the info about the basic pack when installing the core group though, is there another important thing I forgot to download?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Tanker_5455 wrote: 27. Jan 2020, 15:59 I'm not the OP but you should, it did the trick for me, I now have normal fonts.
I had missed the info about the basic pack when installing the core group though, is there another important thing I forgot to download?
You mean you did a CORE installation and then you installed X on top?

I guess the answer depends on what you have installed. Here's the list of packages that are installed on top of CORE for a BASIC installation:
https://github.com/gapan/iso-creation/b ... xfce/BASIC
Tanker_5455

Post by Tanker_5455 »

That's it, thanks, I'm not familiar (yet) with Linux-based systems and am kinda lost in the terminology; I'll install what I need to bring my system to BASIC status then.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Here's a quick way to install everything listed in there:

Code: Select all

for i in `cat BASIC`; do sudo slapt-get -y -i $i; done
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Tanker_5455 wrote: 29. Jan 2020, 08:22 That's it, thanks, I'm not familiar (yet) with Linux-based systems and am kinda lost in the terminology; I'll install what I need to bring my system to BASIC status then.
If you're new to Linux, you may do better to do a full install. There is no reason to wear a hair shirt unless there is a reason. Much of what Salix has to offer is a comfortable experience out of the box.

Gone are the days when you didn't want to install anything you didn't absolutely need for fear of lack of space.

Do have a look at the Salix Startup Guide, link on homepage - especially chapter three on package management.