slapt-get/gslapt dependencies - SOLVED

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
sabenada

slapt-get/gslapt dependencies - SOLVED

Post by sabenada »

Hello.
I am new to Salix, been using it for the past 2 months and i am liking it a lot.
I ain't asking for any help, it's just curiosity, as i already solved it.
I installed both audacious and gufw on my sister laptop using slapt-get.
They installed fine but slapt-get didn't installed audacious-plugins for the audacious package and it didn't install ufw for the gufw package, so they didn't run.
I already installed them and everything is ok.
I just wanted to know, (hope no one be mad with me!!), if it is intentional that slapt-get/gslapt does not include those packages as dependencies.
It is not a problem for me it is just pure curiosity, as i have solved it already, and i am really liking this distro.
Hope no one take it the wrong way or be offended by this question.
Thanks
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: slapt-get/gslapt dependencies

Post by mimosa »

Not at all, such reports are helpful for clarification in one direction or the other. To put it another way, sometimes dependencies really are missing, or else, there may be a reason for it. Please do check out the Salix Startup Guide:
https://salixos.org/guide.html

especially Chapter Three on package management.

Gufw is provided in Salix's Extra repository, which contains builds of packages found at slackbuilds.org. There may be dependencies or other tweaks needed to make the package work, and it is always worth having a look there in case of trouble. However I believe gapan will add any dependencies reported so they are installed automatically next time, so thanks for your report.

Here is what it says about the package at Slackbuilds.org:
This version requires that python-distutils-extra be built with python3
support by passing PYTHON3=yes ./python-distutils-extra.SlackBuild when
building.

This version also requires webkit2gtk. If you would rather not have to
build webkit2gtk, you can still use the 12.04.1 version of gui-ufw:
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.1 ... k/gui-ufw/

This requires: python-distutils-extra, webkit2gtk, pygobject3-python3, ufw
so it is possible that if it still doesn't work, you may need to rebuild the python-distutils-extra package as well.

The plugins for audacious aren't included as a dependency, because they probably aren't actually necessary to run the application. They are an optional extra you can install if you want them. Again though, nothing wrong with reporting it and the view may be taken that something like that really should be included as a dependency. My guess would be not in this case though.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Salix, and please don't hesitate to ask about any problems that may come up.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Hi sabenada and welcome!

With respect to audacious, it is in fact on purpose that audacious-plugins is not installed as a dependency. That's because it is not one. Audacious works just fine without the audacious-plugins package for several free audio formats. The audacious-plugins only adds support for more media formats, which might not be essential for many.

As for the gui-ufw package, you are correct. Dependencies were missing, but that is only because dependencies were only calculated automatically for gui-ufw and there exists no tool that can detect that it really needs ufw to function. I have added ufw (as well as python) as a dependency for it now. I haven't really tried if it works completely though, all I know is it launches and seems to work.

Thanks!
sabenada

Post by sabenada »

Hello.
Want to thank you for the clarification.
I will read a little more carefully the startup guide. Confess that i only took a little pick at it!!
And i will keep using Salix because i used debian and hated, used slackware for a while but it still a bit dificult for me,
but i really thing salix is the right spot.
Thank you for this very cool and neat distro.
PS: Don't know how to close this tread and mark it as soveld!!
Help please!!!
Thank you again.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

To mark a thread as solved, edit the title of your original post by adding SOLVED or something like that.
sabenada

SOLVED: slapt-get/gslapt dependencies

Post by sabenada »

sabenada wrote: 20. Dec 2019, 22:48 Hello.
I am new to Salix, been using it for the past 2 months and i am liking it a lot.
I ain't asking for any help, it's just curiosity, as i already solved it.
I installed both audacious and gufw on my sister laptop using slapt-get.
They installed fine but slapt-get didn't installed audacious-plugins for the audacious package and it didn't install ufw for the gufw package, so they didn't run.
I already installed them and everything is ok.
I just wanted to know, (hope no one be mad with me!!), if it is intentional that slapt-get/gslapt does not include those packages as dependencies.
It is not a problem for me it is just pure curiosity, as i have solved it already, and i am really liking this distro.
Hope no one take it the wrong way or be offended by this question.
Thanks

Hope is like this to edit the original title.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

No, it is not. You quoted your post rather than editing it. You should see a little pencil icon just above your first post, which allows you to edit. I've done it for you this time.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: slapt-get/gslapt dependencies - SOLVED

Post by gapan »

mimosa, you're able to do that because you are a forum moderator. Users are not able to do edit older posts after some time, because spambots were taking advantage of it; they would make a seemingly legitimate post and then after some time (days/weeks) they would edit it with spam links. This kind of spam could go undetected by most moderators for quite some time.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: slapt-get/gslapt dependencies - SOLVED

Post by mimosa »

I actually wondered about that - but then gave the old advice anyway. What a curse spam etc is.

Sorry about that, sabenada!