firefox 78.0esr

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
gapan
Salix Wizard

firefox 78.0esr

Post by gapan »

Earlier today I uploaded Firefox 68.10.0esr to the repos. It's one of the last to come out in the 68 series. I also created packages for the newest 78esr. Been running them for a couple of hours now. It would be best if more people tried them, before they eventually replace the 68esr in our repos. I expect that to happen in a month with 78.1.0esr if all goes well, or at the latest in two months with 78.2.0esr.

You can find the packages here:
http://people.salixos.org/gapan/firefox/

They include locale files for the most popular languages. There are directories with additional locale packages for anyone who might need them.

Please report if you find anything weird.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: firefox 78.0esr

Post by mimosa »

Downloading now! I have actually been running this on one of my machines from Mozilla (i.e. in-place called with a script) because something broke somewhere. I'll report any glitches, but don't expect to see any.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Installed the 78.0er package here. I have been using Chrome/Chromium across all my various devices and OS syncing bookmarks et al for the last few years. These devices include computers running both Salix and Windows, my iPhone and a few Amazon Fire tablets. However I am becoming very weary of Google, both from privacy and political aspects and therefore have been contemplating moving away from Chrome/chromium and Google. So I have taken this opportunity to installed the Firefox 78.0ee and will give it a try. Also will be installing Firefox on my other devices over the next few days.
Will let you know if there are any problems.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I have to say that privacy issues are the main reason I never considered including chromium in salix.
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle »

gapan wrote: 1. Jul 2020, 13:14 I have to say that privacy issues are the main reason I never considered including chromium in salix.
And what about Chromium derivatives (for the sake of privacy), for instance, Opera and Vivaldi?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I would go with Firefox every time - with some judicious tweaks.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Van_Vinkle wrote: 2. Jul 2020, 09:09 And what about Chromium derivatives (for the sake of privacy), for instance, Opera and Vivaldi?
They are both proprietary, right?
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle »

gapan wrote: 2. Jul 2020, 13:27
Van_Vinkle wrote: 2. Jul 2020, 09:09 And what about Chromium derivatives (for the sake of privacy), for instance, Opera and Vivaldi?
They are both proprietary, right?
Yes, they are.
My question was in the sense that both are not directly created by Google, then the thirst for private information was -maybe- not so high.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Well, it probably isn't, but being proprietary is another reason not to consider them.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

mimosa wrote: 2. Jul 2020, 11:00 I would go with Firefox every time - with some judicious tweaks.
gapan wrote: 3. Jul 2020, 18:08 Well, it probably isn't, but being proprietary is another reason not to consider them.
I totally agree. In fact, if anything Chrome/Chromium-related ever becomes the default browser, I will do what I did with "NetworkManager": Uninstall it immediately and replace it with something more appropriate - Firefox in this case. The only reason Chrome has become popular is the extremely intrusive marketing orchestrated by Google. This is actually just another plague in the Window$ world, where Chrome being installed as a side effect is very common (you know, you install something else and if you don't pay attention to the tiny letters you get Chrome too). I hear that some free antiviruses even contain nag screens to install the damn Chrome. It already has the reputation of a "pup" (potentially unwanted software). Not far from a malware.

Slackel currently has Firefox 78.0.1 (not ESR, but I don't think it matters until the non-ESR edition starts to deviate again). There are no issues whatsoever, as far I can tell from my Slackel machine. On my Salix machines, I still use the default Firefox, but I also installed gapan's new ESR for testing. I will be surprised if I find anything weird.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)