Salix 15?

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
pnbalaji

Salix 15?

Post by pnbalaji »

Now that Slackware has released their latest version of 15.0, any idea when Salix 15.0 will be released?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix 15?

Post by mimosa »

When it's ready.
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

LOL it's released just like Slackware itself is: When it's ready. But I bet there will be an Alpha or Beta to try out before long!
TheDarkSide

Post by TheDarkSide »

I saw in a post on another topic here in the Forum, that there was someone who asked for SalixOS 15 with KDE Plasma... I had a little disappointment with Plasma, I ask that SalixOS 15 come out with Mate and Xfce as desktops. Don't stay alone with Xfce, consider Mate as well.
Free the world from the evil software called systemd.
pnbalaji

Post by pnbalaji »

I prefer Mate as well.
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

It's Linux! Install whatever desktop you like.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Artim wrote: 9. Mar 2022, 06:33It's Linux! Install whatever desktop you like.
Well, yes and no, that is. Sure you can install whatever desktop you like, but a distribution coming with a specific "flagship" desktop pre-configured saves you a lot of boring work to configure it yourself. It is not as simple as installing the packages needed; I mean it will work, but will need you to take care of several details to make it fully integrated. At least that was the case when I installed Openbox in Salix as a second "desktop".

Furthermore, the default desktop coming with a distribution says something about the distro itself. Personally, I would shy away any distro that provides KDE as its default desktop and nothing else. That choice alone tells me developers don't care about resources in general, but rather appreciate debatable eye-candy stuff - so no, thank you, even if I have a machine that would run KDE fine. Some distros also have Gnome as default desktop, meaning not only they don't care about resources, but they don't care about systemd as well - which means I wouldn't even bother trying that distro.

In my opinion, Xfce balances resources needed, functionality provided, and eye-candy, all just fine. Not only that, but previous Salixes did have Xfce as their flagship distro. I see no reason for that to change. Mate is not bad, but Xfce is still more lightweight providing the same functionality.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

You're right, @Papasot, of course. And I too prefer Xfce to any other desktop. A lot of distros have both official and unofficial "community flavors" that users have created and offer. Perhaps people who prefer other desktops would enjoy a preconfigured "SalixOS, KDE Edition," official or unofficial.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Fluxbox and Xfce are plenty on this box.
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

I will probably keep the 14.2 installation I'm typing this on unchanged. Everything works on this 10+ yo desktop machine (old gaming pc I bought used.
And it is the most stable linux I know of. As long as you are on older hardware no problem.
(I wrote in some earlier post that android tethering for internet did not work but that is not so - had probs a few times)