Salix 15?

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix 15?

Post by gapan »

Damn. Distrowatch picked it up before I was able to write a proper announcement. I guess the cat's out of the bag now...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/files/15.0/
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Great news. I already downloaded it. :-)
EricC

Post by EricC »

Haven't seen anything on Distrowatch yet, but definitely pulling the alpha down. Thanks!!!
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

YESSSSS! This is going to be awesome!
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

coyotl wrote: 11. Apr 2022, 20:37 I will probably keep the 14.2 installation I'm typing this on unchanged. Everything works on this 10+ yo desktop machine (old gaming pc I bought used.
And it is the most stable linux I know of. As long as you are on older hardware no problem.
Well, not exactly. There is no doubt it is rock-solid stable, I am not arguing about that. However I am not sure about the "no problem" part.

First, even ancient hardware can be used for programming, and 14.2 shows its age in this context. gcc 5.5.0 is outdated, at least for me. Many features were added since then. Most GNU/Linux distributions come with gcc 11.2.0 nowadays. The workaround is to compile a newer gcc version and use it as a second compiler suite, but you can't do that forever, and compiling gcc from source is not a trivial task, especially when installation details change from version to version (which happens quite often lately).

Second, many third-party applications won't run at 14.2 anymore, simply because they expect glibc 2.27 in your system (which is what most distros come with now, but 14.2 has glibc 2.23 instead). There is no acceptable workaround about that. Sometimes it is possible to get the application running with a simple "hack", but usually you will need to compile from source, and that might be hard or even impossible because of outdated dependencies that application has.

Mainly for those reasons, I will switch to 15.0 when available, after testing the anticipated alpha/beta releases.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Just going to install it now. See you on the other side!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

After selecting the language, I drop back into the BIOS's boot device selection list. If I choose the USB stick I dd'd the iso to, the same thing happens again.

By the way is there a better place than this to report issues?
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

Re Papasot: "However I am not sure about the "no problem" part."
Sure, agree. I was referring to desktop use with hardware covered by the codebase. I have had driver problems and such.
But it is extremely solid. You don't see the glitches and freezes of other distros, application issues etc. The 1 app per use/area
approach is set up so well. I can have 2-3 distros + Windows for gaming installed and then boot into Salix when the others fail.
Something the other distros should aim for.
EricC

Post by EricC »

I can verify #1 with VMware. Hyper-V at least provided a useful message about bzImage cannot be found.

I just did a minimal install in BIOS mode that succeeded on VMware Workstation. I also saw the unrar message but like you everything else went fine and the install finished.

I can verify #4 with VMware.

I created a new post viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8333 with what issues I have encountered so far.
hugok

Post by hugok »

Yes it is already in distrowatch!
Maybe now they will change the Salix state from "dormant" to active :?
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79