Salix KDE edition 13.1.1beta5

Old stuff that should not bother anyone anymore
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix KDE edition 13.1.1beta5

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote:
gapan wrote:
* Could the shortcut icons in the taskbar be moved to the left, next to the menu button?
You are talking about konq, system-settings, konsole and dolphin shortcut icons.

The others with the clock to be to the right.

Just to be sure.
Yes.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Just did a full installation and I have to say this looks really good. :)

Only thing I have to add so far is that I would like to see the "Device notifier" widget next to the app launchers in the taskbar. It's very usefull and it's already there in a vanilla KDE I think anyway.

BTW, the fish:// protocol works great both with konqueror and dolphin. Just type "fish://hostname:port" to your konqueror/dolphin address bar.

Ah, another one: lilosetup segfaullts...

Code: Select all

No protocol specified
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
  builder.add_from_file("/usr/share/lilosetup/lilosetup.glade")
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: Warning: value "TRUE" of type `gboolean' is invalid or out of range for property `visible' of type `gboolean'
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gdk_cursor_new_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: Screen for GtkWindow not set; you must always set
a screen for a GtkWindow before using the window
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_layout_new: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_text: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_attributes: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_alignment: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_ellipsize: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_single_paragraph_mode: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_wrap: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_width: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_extents: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gtk_icon_theme_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gtk_icon_size_lookup_for_settings: assertion `GTK_IS_SETTINGS (settings)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: Invalid icon size 4

/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gtk_icon_theme_load_icon: assertion `GTK_IS_ICON_THEME (icon_theme)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-execute' for stock: 
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gtkstyle.c:2318: invalid icon size '4'
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gtk_style_render_icon: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: Warning: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_pixel_extents: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: Invalid icon size 1

/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-no' for stock: 
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gtkstyle.c:2318: invalid icon size '1'
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-yes' for stock: 
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-go-up' for stock: 
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-go-down' for stock: 
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-clear' for stock: 
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-edit' for stock: 
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gdk_display_get_pointer: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_n_monitors: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_monitor_geometry: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -1049238 and height -1191826
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -1049234 and height 0
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -1049234 and height 1
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_default_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gdk_colormap_get_visual: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_root_window: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/sbin/lilosetup.py:320: GtkWarning: gdk_window_new: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed
Σφάλμα κατάτμησης (segmentation fault)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:Just did a full installation and I have to say this looks really good. :)
I am happy :D
gapan wrote: Only thing I have to add so far is that I would like to see the "Device notifier" widget next to the app launchers in the taskbar. It's very usefull and it's already there in a vanilla KDE I think anyway.
done. i put it next to konsole.
gapan wrote: BTW, the fish:// protocol works great both with konqueror and dolphin. Just type "fish://hostname:port" to your konqueror/dolphin address bar.
try to connect to simplynux.fr with the above command. It needs also ssh. I dont know how to do it with konqueror. I can do it with gftp or command live.

Lilosetup works fine here. No segfaults.

Set_kde_langs need to run as root. So can go only to usersetup. we will see it in the future. But if they dont exist never mind. It is an english installation cd. It will be good if we had more kdelangs in the cd. Or in the livecd.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Maybe the simplynux.fr server doesn't accept logins with a password?

Two more things I noticed:
* The mouse cursor in the kdm screen is not the same as when you log in.
* Do I get it right? The salix-splash-theme package is not only about a splash. It seems to include the background and a few other things too. I'm wondering if it should have a different name, like salix-kde-artwork or something like that.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:Maybe the simplynux.fr server doesn't accept logins with a password?

Two more things I noticed:
* The mouse cursor in the kdm screen is not the same as when you log in.
* Do I get it right? The salix-splash-theme package is not only about a splash. It seems to include the background and a few other things too. I'm wondering if it should have a different name, like salix-kde-artwork or something like that.
george, i did not notice it. You are really very good for testing. :)
It is kde problem. So i had to created a "default" directory in /usr/share/icons/, and in there i had to created the index.theme file with the following content:
[Icon Theme]
Name = Oxygen Black
Comment = Default icon theme.(Oxygen mouse theme. Oxygenize your desktop!)
Inherits = Oxygen_Black

and now I have the same cursor in kdm screen and KDE. :)

Well, with these little details salix-kde is getting better and better. Thanks.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote:It is kde problem. So i had to created a "default" directory in /usr/share/icons/, and in there i had to created the index.theme file with the following content:
[Icon Theme]
Name = Oxygen Black
Inherits = Oxygen_Black

This is done in the xfce and lxde editions by symlinking the icon directory to default. I think it's better that way. I can update the zzz-settings package, where this is set to support this too, so you don't have to create the directory yourself.

And I have a few more:
* libvncserver is needed for krfb
* kmail launches but there is an error message about akonadi and if you dismiss the error message kmail shuts down too. Same for kaddressbook and kontact and maybe more. I think the akonadi server should be running and mysql should be installed by default.
* Logging out of kde doesn't show kdm. It just hangs there.
I didn't have time to investigate solutions for the last 2 yet.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:
djemos wrote:It is kde problem. So i had to created a "default" directory in /usr/share/icons/, and in there i had to created the index.theme file with the following content:
[Icon Theme]
Name = Oxygen Black
Inherits = Oxygen_Black

This is done in the xfce and lxde editions by symlinking the icon directory to default. I think it's better that way. I can update the zzz-settings package, where this is set to support this too, so you don't have to create the directory yourself.

And I have a few more:
* libvncserver is needed for krfb
* kmail launches but there is an error message about akonadi and if you dismiss the error message kmail shuts down too. Same for kaddressbook and kontact and maybe more. I think the akonadi server should be running and mysql should be installed by default.
* Logging out of kde doesn't show kdm. It just hangs there.
I didn't have time to investigate solutions for the last 2 yet.
1) libvncserver installed
2) I know about mysql. i forgot to included in iso. akonadi needs mysql (looking for /usr/libexec/mysqld). So kontact, kmail and kpim generally apps run with no errors.
3) logging out of kde show kdm. and can log in again. no problem here.
4) when you update the zzz-settings i will remove default folder and index.theme file creation of salix-kde-artwork package.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

SalixLive-KDE-beta8 (680MB)

Here it is:
http://www.slackel.gr/isos/salixlive-kd ... 13.1.1.iso
http://www.slackel.gr/isos/salixlive-kd ... .1.iso.md5

it is based in the upcoming salix-kdebeta8.iso which has the latests corrections, mysql, libvncserver, etc

I hope tomorrow to upload the salix-kde-13.1.1-beta8.iso as well.

Please test it. I did not test the installer, lilosetup etc. The latest versions are included.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

To check the performance of a linux system someone have to make an installation to the hard disk. So before uploading the new iso i had to check it. I do it so for a week.

So i installed the salix-kde-13.1.1-beta8.iso to my toshiba satelite laptop 2GB of memory, dual core) in a partition where i had slackel-3.3 since last 3 years, (slackware-12.0 based) Bye slackel. Long live salixkde. :D

After installation reboot and i login in the kde desktop.

The plasma bar was in the left so i will put it to central and maximize the panel.

I set up wireless with wicd, opened konqueror and went to youtube to play a video from of a greek singer.

No sound. Fn + arrowup, arrowdown keys worked fine controling the sound, but i could not here any sound.
So i open as root /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa and add one line there:
set Speaker on

Then i did an "rm /etc/asound.state"
and "/etc/rc.d/rc.alsa"
and i could here the sound. :D

So rc.alsa have to patched to work out of the box for toshiba laptops too.

gapan how we will do it. Patching alsa-utils or having rc.alsa in user-settings-kde package ?

Desktop looks grate. Beautiful. System is turbo. I have also ubuntu-10.04 in the same laptop in another partition and i can notice the difference.