Salix KDE edition 13.1.1beta5

Old stuff that should not bother anyone anymore
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix KDE edition 13.1.1beta3

Post by djemos »

Akuna wrote:One more thing I noticed, Nepomunk asked for virtuoso.
virtuoso-ose is in /l group of slackware. (6.4 MB of size)
I added to basic list.
size of salix-kde-13.1.1-beta5 iso is 700 MB now. So it is ok.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I've thought about creating a KDE version in the past, too. So here are my suggestions/questions:
* Is this GDM? Just use KDM with Salixified theme. I have to take a look if I still have one at home. GDM and probably some gnome deps can be removed then.
* Why OpenOffice and not KOffice?
* Why Firefox, Konqueror already is there and one app per task ;)
* Why Pidgin instead of Kopete?
* IMHO Gimp can be removed to save space. Kolourpaint is there for simple tasks.
* Why is Poedit on the iso?
* Why are you using the old wallpaper?
* Is Xscreensaver needed?
* KDE terminal should use the Terminus font
* GTK apps should use a oxygen styled theme (e.g. kde42-oxygen)
* You can use tangoish-kde icon theme for KDE and Tango for gtk to unify the look and feel.

EDIT:
* Greek KDE language files should be removed from iso to save space ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
wayne

Re: Salix KDE edition 13.1.1beta5

Post by wayne »

I am happy to be able to boot iso from hard disk and install in Hard disk, using existing grub legacy on this old laptop.

Now I have to get the wireless working.
On Salix 13.1 and several Salix-Live CD, there is no trouble to see all the wireless SSID and I just select my SSID , key in password and connect.

For this KDE beta4, using the same Laptop, with intel Pro 2200 wireless, wicd does not scan wireless network.
Can someone help me how to check on terminal and get wireless working?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

thenktor wrote:I've thought about creating a KDE version in the past, too. So here are my suggestions/questions:
* Is this GDM? Just use KDM with Salixified theme. I have to take a look if I still have one at home. GDM and probably some gnome deps can be removed then.
* Why OpenOffice and not KOffice?
* Why Firefox, Konqueror already is there and one app per task ;)
* Why Pidgin instead of Kopete?
* IMHO Gimp can be removed to save space. Kolourpaint is there for simple tasks.
* Why is Poedit on the iso?
* Why are you using the old wallpaper?
* Is Xscreensaver needed?
* KDE terminal should use the Terminus font
* GTK apps should use a oxygen styled theme (e.g. kde42-oxygen)
* You can use tangoish-kde icon theme for KDE and Tango for gtk to unify the look and feel.

EDIT:
* Greek KDE language files should be removed from iso to save space ;)

Hi thenktor. Thanks for your time checking the cd and your suggestions

* Yes its is gdm. I prefer gdm. b/c all version of salix wil have the same feel. But there is already kdm in the iso with Salix theme. Just remove gdm and login again to X. You will see kdm theme :D gdm can be removed.
* OpenOffice is not included in the cd. It is just a link for someone to download it. It is good to exist the link. I think most people use openoffice. But if we as a team decide to have koffice and there is space, then can have koffice as well.
* Firefox is the browser all use. Firefox is faster. I also think people look if firefox is included in a distro cd.
* Again I prefer pidgin, its a matter of taste. Also kopete is in kdenetwork with other apps. This is a bad thing about kde. So menus will full with other apps too. Too many as a look.
How i see it. It does not mean that all apps have to be kde apps. If some gtk apps are better can be used.
* Gimp is professional and standard to all distro's i know.
* I forgot Poedit. I will remove it :D
* I like the old wallpaper. It is a matter of taste. But can use the new one :D
* I will remove Xscreensaver
* About KDE terminal and the Terminus font. I will check it.
* I will try to use the icon themes you say.

Greek KDE language files are only 180KB thats why i left them. Other kde lang files are 18MB and more. But to be equal to all langs can be removed.

Finally, salix-kde edition is our salix team cd. I like to here also what akuna and gapan and other members have to say about apps we will have in the cd and what gtk apps can remove without "harm" the cd.
It will be done what we will decide as a team :D

My personal opinion is to have apps people like and use. Not only kde apps b/c they are kde apps.

Finally i have to say that to produce a Kde installation or livecd, it is different than a gnome (gtk application cd). Kde has different philosophy.
It was easy for me to produce the cd. And took less time than if i have to do it for the first time.
Because, I have spent a lot of time in the past to make slackel since kde-3.5. So i knew how to do it.
Then, when kde4 came up, it was not what i like. So i did not make another slackel kde4 edition.
Then, i found salix :D
And since kde4.4 is very good now, salix-kde started.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

wayne wrote:I am happy to be able to boot iso from hard disk and install in Hard disk, using existing grub legacy on this old laptop.

Now I have to get the wireless working.
On Salix 13.1 and several Salix-Live CD, there is no trouble to see all the wireless SSID and I just select my SSID , key in password and connect.

For this KDE beta4, using the same Laptop, with intel Pro 2200 wireless, wicd does not scan wireless network.
Can someone help me how to check on terminal and get wireless working?
Well, forgot to put some apps in the cd. So till new one upload in repos, do a :

slapt-get -u
slapt-get -i ipw2100-fw ipw2200-fw
slapt-get -i rt2860-firmware rt2870-firmware rt61-firmware rt71w-firmware

and tell if it is ok.

Thanks for the report.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

thenktor wrote:I've thought about creating a KDE version in the past, too. So here are my suggestions/questions:
* GDM removed.
* Pidgin removed, added Kopete (kdenetwork)
* Gimp removed
* Poedit removed
* Xscreensaver removed
* added ipw2100-fw ipw2200-fw rt2860-firmware rt2870-firmware rt61-firmware rt71w-firmware
* kde-l10n-el removed ( you were write it was 1.7 Mb)
* koffice added

iso size is about 696MB

Please confirm. Mysql is a dependency to amarok. But only if someone wants to use an external database. So i suggest to remove mysql as well. Its about 8 MB.

without mysql iso size is 688MB
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

djemos wrote:* Again I prefer pidgin, its a matter of taste. Also kopete is in kdenetwork with other apps. This is a bad thing about kde. So menus will full with other apps too. Too many as a look.
What about Psi or Psi+ with an introduction dialog about Jabber and a list of jabber servers that are providing "getaways" to other networks like AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo!, etc. Jabber/XMPP Server List (is Qt installed by default?) - two nice screenshots of Psi

Uniform Look (see more at ArchWiki)
1) qgtkstyle
A Qt 4 style that renders using GTK. (original web-page - removed) - I saw that at CrunchBang Linux 9.04.01.

2) QtCurve (KDE4, KDE3, & Gtk2 Theme)
This is a set of widget styles for Qt4/KDE4, KDE3 and Gtk2 based apps.

3) Q4Wine
Q4Wine is a qt4 GUI for W.I.N.E. It will help you manage wine prefixes and installed applications.

4) GTK-QT Theme Engine
This engine is for use by GTK applications running in KDE. It applies all Qt settings to the GTK application and uses Qt style plugins directly.

Off topic: I saw the word Amarok, have anyone tried Clementine? I've never tried it (package @ repository.slacky.eu)
Clementine is a modern music player and library organiser
Clementine is a port of Amarok 1.4, with some features rewritten
to take advantage of Qt4.
Homepage: Clementine Music Player
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

zAchAry wrote:Psi
We better should have a Multi-IM as default. PS: I prefer Pidgin over Kopete, too. But this is an KDE edition and not a "what thenktor likes best edition" ;) So IMHO it's better to use the KDE/Qt native tools, if available. Opera or Aurora e.g. are another choices for a Browser, that better fit into KDE.
zAchAry wrote:Uniform Look
You really want to exchange the great look of Oxygen with GTK/Clearlook? No, you don't :mrgreen: And these wrappers all are suboptimal, too. I've tried them a lot. Best choice is a GTK theme, that resamples Oxygen more or less. Sadly Firefox is a prog that has sometimes problems with these themes. So back to point one: browser choice :ugeek:
zAchAry wrote:Clementine?
I've tried it some time ago and it was way behind Amarok2. It seems they have developed a lot, but I doubt the collection search is half as fast as Amarok's.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
wayne

Post by wayne »

djemos wrote: Well, forgot to put some apps in the cd. So till new one upload in repos, do a :

slapt-get -u
slapt-get -i ipw2100-fw ipw2200-fw
slapt-get -i rt2860-firmware rt2870-firmware rt61-firmware rt71w-firmware

and tell if it is ok.

Thanks for the report.
hi djemos,
Tried it twice. Did not work. wireless did not scan. Wired is running OK.

One more thing, which is annoyance to me, before I connect internet and get Install MultiMedia Codec, I just click a few media files just to see how it goes, the result is the Dragon player open up and gives me quite loud noises playing the files, that remind me of olden days ( in 60's using AM radio trying to tune into some stations). Tried that a few files with the same noise. In the other Salix installation/Salix live CD, what this would do before installing codec is just silence.
Secondly, when I completed Installing codec and install also vlc player to play the media files, now most of my media files can be played with vlc, but one thing I noted is the sound is of poorer quality and I could here noises in the music. I am not sure this is my download/installation/testing problem, but this had not occurred to this laptop for any distros I tried.

Thanks for reading.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Here are some more thoughts:

* The KDM theme needs some work
* I don't think I like having a login sound
* Can we remove the akonadi message when kde 1st starts?
* Make all the virtual desktops in the taskbar applet fit in 1 line
* Use the new KDE menu, not the old-style menu
* KPlato is under "Lost and found" in the kde menu. Can this be fixed?
* Remove firefox, konqueror is just fine
* xine-lib installed? dragon player already plays mp3 files. I also don't like juk being installed, while also having amarok. Can we find another mixer app for kde and a gstreamer qt media player? Then we could dump the kdemultimedia package.
* remove gnome-icon-theme and gnome-colors-icon-theme, find a matching icon theme.
* find a matching gtk+2 theme
* does kde have it's own notification-daemon? is the notification-daemon package needed?
* if the obsidian-cursors will not become the default ones, they can be removed. The vanilla-dmz-cursors too
* with koffice installed, I think the "Get openoffice" script can be removed. Gslapt can be used to download it anyway.
* Packages that can be removed:

Code: Select all

libgnomecanvas
system-config-printer and notify-python
wxGTK
gegl
babl
ktsuss
Xdialog
gftp
htop
libdvdcss (it's illegal in the US)
zope.interface (since pitivi is not on the iso)