Salix KDE edition 13.1.1beta5

Old stuff that should not bother anyone anymore
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix KDE edition 13.1.1beta5

Post by gapan »

gapan wrote:* xine-lib installed? dragon player already plays mp3 files. I also don't like juk being installed, while also having amarok. Can we find another mixer app for kde and a gstreamer qt media player? Then we could dump the kdemultimedia package.
If you set the default multimedia backend to gstreamer in the kde settings, then kaffeine launches with no problems and I think kaffeine is a better media player than dragon anyway.

So all we need to find is a kmix replacement and kdemultimedia can go. If there isn't any, we could package kmix separately and use that I guess.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote: * Use the new KDE menu, not the old-style menu
* Remove firefox, konqueror is just fine
ACK.
gapan wrote: * remove gnome-icon-theme and gnome-colors-icon-theme, find a matching icon theme.
* find a matching gtk+2 theme
I think this is already changed.

And I agree: Amarok + Kaffeine + gstreamer backend will be fine. Only a mixer app is needed. A gtk mixer can do it, too.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

k3b needs kdemultimedia too. But I created a separate kmix package anyway, so we can use that instead. k3b works with that too.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:k3b needs kdemultimedia too. But I created a separate kmix package anyway, so we can use that instead. k3b works with that too.
Hmm, I've done that in the past, too. But what about Slackware compatibility on an official ISO? An update would install kdemultimedia, too.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

thenktor wrote:Hmm, I've done that in the past, too. But what about Slackware compatibility on an official ISO? An update would install kdemultimedia, too.
No problem, we can change all "kdemultimedia" dependencies to "kmix|kdemultimedia" and also create a conflict between kmix and kdemultimedia.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:
thenktor wrote:No problem, we can change all "kdemultimedia" dependencies to "kmix|kdemultimedia" and also create a conflict between kmix and kdemultimedia.
As long as all deps really are fullfilled by kmix only ;) But I guess we can just do it and finally get rid of the kdemultimedia crap.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

thenktor wrote:As long as all deps really are fullfilled by kmix only
They are.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

amarok cant work with gstreamer needs xine-lib. Remove xine-lib and try to play shoutcast streams with amarok+ gstreamer.
k3b only needs kmix and not xine-lib?
k3b is a wonderful app. I suggest to keep it.

george send me the kmix package.
i have no idea why kplato appears in lost and found. kplato is in koffice package. but i can delete the lost and found and save user .kde folder.

look here some screenshots with kde44-oxygen theme
some off them have tango and tangoish http://www.slackel.gr/isos/screenshots/
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote:amarok cant work with gstreamer needs xine-lib. Remove xine-lib and try to play shoutcast streams with amarok+ gstreamer.
It should work if you install all gstreamer plugins and libraries they depend on.
djemos wrote:k3b only needs kmix and not xine-lib?
I don't think it needs xine-lib at all. It just needs a library that is in the kdemultimedia package, which is also in my kmix package.
djemos wrote:george send me the kmix package.
I will upload it to the repos, as soon as I build a 64bit package too.
djemos wrote:i have no idea why kplato appears in lost and found. kplato is in koffice package. but i can delete the lost and found and save user .kde folder.
We should check if it's still there with the new kde menus.
djemos wrote:look here some screenshots with kde44-oxygen theme
some off them have tango and tangoish http://www.slackel.gr/isos/screenshots/
I don't think tango fits well with kde. We should find an oxygen-like icon set. I think I saw some in gnome-look.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

djemos wrote:amarok cant work with gstreamer needs xine-lib. Remove xine-lib and try to play shoutcast streams with amarok+ gstreamer.
k3b only needs kmix and not xine-lib?
k3b is a wonderful app. I suggest to keep it.
All kde4 packages only use phonon as media backend. They should not depend directly on xine or gstreamer. And of course keep k3b, it's much better than all gtk burning apps ;)
gapan wrote:I don't think tango fits well with kde. We should find an oxygen-like icon set. I think I saw some in gnome-look.
Tango rules in KDE :P Much better than oxygen icons, that only look great on large sizes. BTW: If I chose Oxygen icon theme in LXappearance it works fine with PCmanFM. So perhaps just use this icon theme for Qt and gtk? (has to be checked with other gtk apps)

EDIT: Faenza icons are nice, too:
http://tiheum.deviantart.com/art/Faenza-Icons-173323228
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Fa ... ent=132988