Salix KDE edition 13.1.1beta5

Old stuff that should not bother anyone anymore
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix KDE edition 13.1.1beta5

Post by thenktor »

Firefox wastes space on the KDE iso and the new KDE menu is standard. If you are stuck to the old menu you can simply change that yourself.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I've only had the time to do a basic mode installation with beta7. These are my comments so far:

* An empty kplato entry is shown in the menu when doing a BASIC install
* Why isn't the terminus font used in konsole? It does support accents in greek letters.
* Is the kwebdev package needed in BASIC mode?
* Why is JRE in BASIC mode?
* The background is not the correct one. This is the background of the gdm/kdm theme, not the desktop background.
* Packages are not upgraded to their latest versions.
* The rootuser-settings package should not include any other files except the root user settings in /root. Most of those files are already in other packages, why put them in there again anyway?
* The desktop icons have an exclamation mark on them and the 1st time you launch them you get a message asking you if you should launch them. I would also like to have the desktop folder transparent widget thing.
* What is the salix_set_kde_langs package? And why does it include usersetup? It should certaily not do that.
* The default konqueror start page should be http://www.salixos.org/start. This can probably be set in skel.
* Could the shortcut icons in the taskbar be moved to the left, next to the menu button?
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

KDE LiveCD alpha2 version which is a replica of KDE beta7 is available for testing as well: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 15&start=0
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

thenktor wrote:You really want to exchange the great look of Oxygen with GTK/Clearlook? No, you don't :mrgreen: And these wrappers all are suboptimal, too. I've tried them a lot. Best choice is a GTK theme, that resamples Oxygen more or less. Sadly Firefox is a prog that has sometimes problems with these themes.
gtk-kde4

Code: Select all

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/gtk-kde4?content=74689
Is this any good? [link]
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:I've only had the time to do a basic mode installation with beta7. These are my comments so far:

* An empty kplato entry is shown in the menu when doing a BASIC install
* Why isn't the terminus font used in konsole? It does support accents in greek letters.
* Is the kwebdev package needed in BASIC mode?
* Why is JRE in BASIC mode?
* The background is not the correct one. This is the background of the gdm/kdm theme, not the desktop background.
* Packages are not upgraded to their latest versions.
* The rootuser-settings package should not include any other files except the root user settings in /root. Most of those files are already in other packages, why put them in there again anyway?
* The desktop icons have an exclamation mark on them and the 1st time you launch them you get a message asking you if you should launch them. I would also like to have the desktop folder transparent widget thing.
* What is the salix_set_kde_langs package? And why does it include usersetup? It should certaily not do that.
* The default konqueror start page should be http://www.salixos.org/start. This can probably be set in skel.
* Could the shortcut icons in the taskbar be moved to the left, next to the menu button?
1) .kde have to be in rootuser-settings, .dmrc also b/c in kde root/ is different. So will have a different rootuser-settings and not conflict with the old one and call it rootuser-settings-kde
2) webdev is needed b/c of konq-plugins so b/c konqueror is in basic webdev is there too. i will put it in full and see if konq-plugins are functional.
3) salix_set_kde_langs set the lang in kde when a new user is created. I will remove it from usersetup. I will do it differently or user will do it by himself.
4) kplato-work is a bag of kde i will remove the .desktop to not shown in at all in basic.
5) ok prefer the default desktop folder transparent widget
6) i will take care of the rest too.

Also i found a way to trim the livecd size about 60MB so will feet in a cd.
But i left out of space in my hard disk :D and i have to take another disk to create the livecd.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote:1) .kde have to be in rootuser-settings, .dmrc also b/c in kde root/ is different. So will have a different rootuser-settings and not conflict with the old one and call it rootuser-settings-kde
Of course. But I'm talking about all the other files in the rootuser-settings-kde package, like wallpapers etc, that shouldn't be there.
djemos wrote:2) webdev is needed b/c of konq-plugins so b/c konqueror is in basic webdev is there too. i will put it in full and see if konq-plugins are functional.
I don't think konq-plugins should be installed in basic mode either. Just in full would be fine.
djemos wrote:3) salix_set_kde_langs set the lang in kde when a new user is created. I will remove it from usersetup. I will do it differently or user will do it by himself.
The place to do this would be localesetup and or usersetup I think. I have no problem patching them to also support kde, but we'll have to see how to do it properly. You should not create hacks like this to solve problems yourself, everything should be done in a standard centralized way.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote: The place to do this would be localesetup and or usersetup I think. I have no problem patching them to also support kde, but we'll have to see how to do it properly. You should not create hacks like this to solve problems yourself, everything should be done in a standard centralized way.
1)so i will remove set_kde_langs package and will see it in the future.
2) Also in salix-update-notifier in line 48 where is && $SUCOMMAND gslapt --upgrade have to be
&& $SUCOMMAND "gslapt --upgrade"
It will be a new version upload to the repos with this above correction?
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

djemos wrote:Also i found a way to trim the livecd size about 60MB so will feet in a cd.
Great news! :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote:It will be a new version upload to the repos with this above correction?
Yes, of course.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:
You are talking about konq, system-settings, konsole and dolphin shortcut icons.

The others with the clock to be to the right.

Just to be sure.