Repository package managers

Old stuff that should not bother anyone anymore
Sparky

Re: Repository package managers

Post by Sparky »

gapan wrote:gslapt displays all versions with multiple entries. But maybe you can do both, by having a switch in Preferences or something?
What is the purpose of setting the priority of mirrors then, if all the packages are displayed anyway?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Sparky wrote:What is the purpose of setting the priority of mirrors then, if all the packages are displayed anyway?
(I think) that if you don't choose the package directly, but it is needed as a dependency, it comes from the one with the highest priority.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I think it's enough to show the package with the highest priority.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Yes, I think so.

Good luck Sparky :)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I have to say that a system upgrade with zendo + spkg is blasting fast compared to xnetpkg + pkgtools :mrgreen:
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Hi Sparky, do you already have some progress with Zendo?
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Bad news in this respect. I have been working at it hard, in fact the .diff between the old and new versions is larger than the entire source itself, but I'm not hopeful. Because I didn't design it to support multiple mirrors from the start, EVERYTHING is wrong. Applying "fixes" to almost every single source file has resulted in a program which is drastically slower than the old Zendo, in fact it is still quite a bit slower than Gslapt. When I started programming Zendo I didn't know how to do things like compile classes individually, and those mistakes have come back to completely screw me over now, because I can't effectively make major changes without just "patching" stuff to limp along, which is far too crappy performance. For this reason I don't think we should go with Zendo, at least not for now. Perhaps I will have time to do a complete re-write someday, at which point I can re-design everything for multiple mirrors and get that old Zendo speed back.

I really wish wxWidgets would support Qt as well, but that's a whole different issue.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

OK, thanks for trying Sparky.

So, we go with slapt-get/gslapt.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

For me these are really sad news. I know that gapan likes gslapt and gslapt is ok for me, too. But I think gslapt lacks some real innovations. It's just the same as available in other distros, too.
But be sure that I'll convince gapan to use Zendo as soon as you are willing to code a version for us (@ gapan: :P no offense). So I hope you'll stay and perhaps write the ultimate Slackware package manager for our distri in the future ;) :ugeek:
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

With multiple repos in zendo, it wouldn't take much effort to convince me. :D