x86_64

Old stuff that should not bother anyone anymore
thenktor
Salix Wizard

x86_64

Post by thenktor »

As Slackware now has an official 64 bit version: What do we want to do? Stay x86 or move to x86_64?
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: x86_64

Post by gapan »

64 bit is interesting. But we need support for older PCs, so 32 bit is a must have I think. And I think most people still use 32 bit anyway.

Maybe think seriously about a 64 bit version once we sort everything (well, or almost everything) out in 32 bit? We could make arrangements in our buildscripts for 64 bits, even if we don't use it for now. Something like this that slackware uses:

Code: Select all

if [ "$ARCH" = "i486" ]; then
  SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686"
  LIBDIRSUFFIX=""
elif [ "$ARCH" = "s390" ]; then
  SLKCFLAGS="-O2"
  LIBDIRSUFFIX=""
elif [ "$ARCH" = "x86_64" ]; then
  SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -fPIC"
  LIBDIRSUFFIX="64"
fi
coupled with

Code: Select all

./configure \
  --prefix=/usr \
  --libdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Pro:
- Gives an advantage over Zenwalk

Contra:
- I don't think it is a big problem to lose support for old hardware. The bigger problem IMHO is to lose support for most Intel Atom processors.
.:B:.

Post by .:B:. »

Atom is crap, but then again 'netbooks' are a booming market. You should really think about making an ARM port so by the time all those Snapdragon-based platforms come out you can put Alcoholix on it :P.

x86_64 may be an advantage but your first mission shouldn't be to build a userbase. First build your project, then spread the word. Not the other way around.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I prefer to have both versions (x86 and x86_64, maybe others ?).
But like Gapan, I prefer to have firstly a good distro in x86 and then try to have it for x86_64.
Be careful, most softwares don't compile in x86_64 without patches ! So it may take a bit of work to compile in x86_64...
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

JRD wrote:I prefer to have both versions (x86 and x86_64, maybe others ?).
But like Gapan, I prefer to have firstly a good distro in x86 and then try to have it for x86_64.
Be careful, most softwares don't compile in x86_64 without patches ! So it may take a bit of work to compile in x86_64...
As there is not enough manpower to have 2 versions, we should simply stay to x86.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

thenktor wrote: I don't think it is a big problem to lose support for old hardware.
Aaaargh... depends what you call old hardware?

I might be nice to keep support for PII/PIII onward if possible (I think about some of my friends in Africa)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
.:B:.

Post by .:B:. »

Unless you guys are planning to rebuild the whole thing i686 (then you might as well rebase your project on Arch for example) there's not really the question of 'dumping' support for old hardware.

Zenwalk can still run on i486 stuff, only a few packages need i686 (mostly multimedia libs). Every Intel processor from the Pentium II on is supported (also the Pentium Pro if I'm not mistaken) and for AMD everything from the K6-III on is i686. Anything before that is considered pretty exotic nowadays (I don't know how many people you know that run stuff predating the i686 era Pierrick?).

Unless you start rebuilding your stuff and adding SSE and MMX support and that fancy stuff you won't really lose support for old hardware.

I think it might be a good idea to put ISA support back in your kernel. I never really understood why JP opposed inclusion of it so vehemently... Just because you support old stuff doesn't mean your distro is geared towards old hardware.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

.:B:. wrote:Every Intel processor from the Pentium II on is supported (also the Pentium Pro if I'm not mistaken) and for AMD everything from the K6-III on is i686. Anything before that is considered pretty exotic nowadays
I think it might be a good idea to put ISA support back in your kernel.
Tell me some boards for P2 or P3 with ISA slots :P ISA is really outdated for desktop computers nowadays. If you want to use such old stuff you should consider a distribution, that is made for this task. ;)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

[quote=".:B:."(I don't know how many people you know that run stuff predating the i686 era Pierrick?).[/quote]

Indeed, PII onward is just fine, with isa support, as in Slackware kernel.

In other words, we are fine just like it is right now in Slackware current.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.