Main idea ?

Old stuff that should not bother anyone anymore
.:B:.

Re: Main idea ?

Post by .:B:. »

gapan wrote:
.:B:. wrote:To me that sounds like a medadistribution? :)
Yes, probably. Is that a bad thing?
It was an open question - not a judging one ;).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

.:B:. wrote:
gapan wrote:
.:B:. wrote:To me that sounds like a medadistribution? :)
Yes, probably. Is that a bad thing?
It was an open question - not a judging one ;).
I know! :D

But still, if someone thinks it's a bad idea, let's talk about it.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:But still, if someone thinks it's a bad idea, let's talk about it.
1. Perhaps it doesn't get enough attention?
2. Perhaps not enough advantages/innovations over Slackware?
3. We probably don't have enough influence on Slack development.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

thenktor wrote:1. Perhaps it doesn't get enough attention?
I don't think we should care much about that. Our goal should be to create something we enjoy working on and using ourselves first.

In any case, I believe it will actually get more attention like that! Slackware has a huge installed user base that probably don't want to switch to a new small distribution, but won't mind installing software from our repos.
thenktor wrote:2. Perhaps not enough advantages/innovations over Slackware?
We can still replace anything we don't like about slackware with our own version... And maybe focus more on the stability than being innovative and bleeding edge all the time?
thenktor wrote:3. We probably don't have enough influence on Slack development.
We certainly don't! I don't know if we should care though.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:
thenktor wrote:3. We probably don't have enough influence on Slack development.
We certainly don't! I don't know if we should care though.
Just wanted to say, that there certainly will arise things that we have to change, because they won't get fixed upstream in Slackware. And for the case that we have to rebuild some mandatory libs to "fix problems|get cool features|some other reasons" we can't be still sure that packages depending on these libs will be fully functional in a clean Slack enviroment. Basically then we have the same situation than with Zenwalk right now: most things will work, some will need some tweaks, some won't work.
But is this still what you'll call a "meta distribution" or "extended software repository"? I don't think so. Therefore are projects like linuxpackages.net. Personally I would be more interested in a well planned full distribution. That's why I've switched from Slackware to Zenwalk and not just using some Zen packages on Slackware ;-)

Sometimes it's better to break some things and end up with a new and better solution. But don't get me wrong: I like the idea of being close to Slackware. But not at any price. ;)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:That way we won't need to pull slackware packages and put them in our repos (downside: no dependency support for slack packages, maybe we can work around it somehow).
I like the idea, but no dependency tracking could be a big problem :(
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

thenktor wrote:Just wanted to say, that there certainly will arise things that we have to change, because they won't get fixed upstream in Slackware. And for the case that we have to rebuild some mandatory libs to "fix problems|get cool features|some other reasons" we can't be still sure that packages depending on these libs will be fully functional in a clean Slack enviroment. Basically then we have the same situation than with Zenwalk right now: most things will work, some will need some tweaks, some won't work.
I don't think slackware is that slow to introduce new versions of libraries/software. And in any case, backwards compatibility is not broken on most cases with an upgrade to a newer version. So we could use our own gtk+2 for example.
thenktor wrote:Personally I would be more interested in a well planned full distribution. That's why I've switched from Slackware to Zenwalk and not just using some Zen packages on Slackware ;-)
But it will still be a full distribution. We'll provide our own iso for installation, it won't just be an addon repository for slackware.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I'd say: Let's start with as many slackware packages as possible and we'll see where we are going ;-)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Yeah, this seems a good start for me.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Hi there, :)

Just signed in. Everything has already been said, so some of this might be a repeat:

* At first start on a pretty simple base that we really enjoy working on together & see how it grows
* Not a one man show but a teamwork with mutual respect & complementarity.
* I really like the idea to be as close to Slackware as possible, not only because it means less work for us, but also because it means we can give back to Slackware community since all our tools will be compatible with all Slackware based distros.
* This may be utopia, but I'd like to help bring the ease of use to the 'masses' that Ubuntu brings while keeping the simple philosophy & lean backend of Slackware that would ensure that our distro would work well with older & more modest machines from developing countries while being resolutely modern. That basically means plenty of fully internationalized gui tools to make Slackware configuration easy peasy for the newcomers to Linux who may not know English that well. We can use or modify whatever administration tools already exists & create what is missing.
* Aim to have a few installable LiveCDs each featuring a different DE, depending of our team members specific interests in developing these different medias. All these different DE should retain a common graphic signature as much as possible, without being necessarily as rigid as in Zenwalk.

That's all for now

BTW, I have server space to contribute.

:)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.