How to finance the project? Domain...

Old stuff that should not bother anyone anymore
thenktor
Salix Wizard

How to finance the project? Domain...

Post by thenktor »

We need a domain + webspace. How do we finance the project?

What provider do we want to use? Of course we need php and mysql.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: How to finance the project? Domain...

Post by Akuna »

I'll be happy to donate the domain
+ some webspace on my dedibox (I probably need to do some space first...)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I thought that we could distribute ISOs through sourceforge. It has its own mirror system and I have seen that absolute linux already does the same, so sourceforge can be used for that.

Maybe we needn't have a separate main page and a wiki. I think that the "main page" can be integrated with the wiki (just not editable). So I think we would only need a wiki, a forum and a main repository (not for ISOs). I believe these could exist in the same server, so maybe all we need is just one new server?

What options do we have for that? I'm completely ignorant about web hosting. As far as I've seen the dediboxes that make up the main zenwalk mirrors are very reliable and very cheap too. I could certainly get one, but I've seen from its website that it's offered only to French residents, which I am not. Maybe we could "trick" it, by providing Pierrick's address and phone number with my name and credit card? Pierrick what do you think? Or Pierrick gets another one and I forward the money to him?
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:Maybe we needn't have a separate main page and a wiki. I think that the "main page" can be integrated with the wiki (just not editable). So I think we would only need a wiki, a forum and a main repository (not for ISOs). I believe these could exist in the same server, so maybe all we need is just one new server?
I had exactly the same idea :) Of course it can be run on the same server ;)

For the server location:
Probably central Europe would be the best server location. So I'll suggest Germany or France ;)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Well.. if we want salixos to have its own dedibox, we could all pitch in towards its monthly fee, which is about 35 € TTC (29,99 € HT) for the simplest offer & about 60 € (49,99 € HT) for a more powerful server.
http://www.dedibox.fr/

We could also consider setting up a non-profit organization (very simple to do in France if we have at least 2 board members) which would be able to have its own bank account where we could collect everyone's participation as well as community gifts & set up automated payment to the server as well as to any future expenses...

This would provide a transparent management of all finance related matter
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

OK with me :)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

35 € TTC (29,99 € HT)
What does TTC and HT mean? Taxes?

Seems to be a good offer.

If we want a more powerful server, perhaps this one is interesting:
http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produk ... uktmatrix/
Quad-Core, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB RAID 1
But no Slackware :evil:
.:B:.

Post by .:B:. »

TTC = Tout Taxes Compris
HT = Hors Taxes

So with and without VAT (I do know what it is in Dutch, English, French and Italian but not how it is in German, sorry :P).

As for the dedicated server: I suggest you guys look at http://linode.com

Quad core CPU, 360 MB RAM, 16 GB storage, 200 GB/month I think.

I am renting my own VPS there, it might be a bit overkill, you will have to do the setup and maintenance yourselves, but it costs 20 USD a month (10% discount if you pay for a year in advance). I am very pleased with the speed and responsiveness of the host, even though it's in the US.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Akuna wrote: We could also consider setting up a non-profit organization (very simple to do in France if we have at least 2 board members) which would be able to have its own bank account where we could collect everyone's participation as well as community gifts & set up automated payment to the server as well as to any future expenses...

This would provide a transparent management of all finance related matter
I totally agree ! I could help creating it, I'm used to do it. It's easy and not expensive to create it in France and 99% of people around the world can join it.

About a server, I still have a cheap dedibox myself that I will still use for mirrors (I will mirror Salix and Zenwalk). A real dedicated server for the non-profit organization will be better.

P.S. I can help pay the dedicated server.