Standard installation CD or Live CD?

Old stuff that should not bother anyone anymore
gapan
Salix Wizard

Standard installation CD or Live CD?

Post by gapan »

What the title says...

If we have Pierrick with us, his expertise on live CDs would be extremely valuable. If we could work closely with him to make liveinstall support any type of partitions/installation I think we wouldn't need an installation CD.

Or even then, maybe make a "core" installation CD and a Live CD? Only the live CD would need to be complete,
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Standard installation CD or Live CD?

Post by thenktor »

But what about X server problems at live CD bootup? This would make it very hard to install the system.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
.:B:.

Post by .:B:. »

Maybe a combined Live CD/Installation CD and an 'alternate' installation CD like Ubuntu? A network install CD would be nice too (FTP, and only wired, nothing fancy like wireless, that's nonsense).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

thenktor wrote:But what about X server problems at live CD bootup? This would make it very hard to install the system.
Yes, but if X doesn't autoconfigure right, the same users are going to have problems as soon as everything is installed. And I think all problems with X not loading with Zenwalk live CDs were due to the crappy vesa drivers we had.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

.:B:. wrote:Maybe a combined Live CD/Installation CD and an 'alternate' installation CD like Ubuntu? A network install CD would be nice too (FTP, and only wired, nothing fancy like wireless, that's nonsense).
You mean a CD that would have 2 modes of operation? That may not be that easy to do. The "installation only" side of ubuntu is still loading X and uses the same installer as the "live" side does. The problem is that in a live CD, you don't have packages, you have an already installed system that is running live and for installing you clone that installation to a HD.

I guess the network install is very close to the "core" I had in mind.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Personally I like straight and simple text installer CDs but I have to admit that I have no idea about how installing from a Live CD would work.
For a network installation it should be enough to load the necessary modules, set up IP and gateway address and chose a mirror from a list instead of using packages from the CD. This would make a snapshot installation much easier ;)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

It's REALLY not easy to answers this type of questions...

Zenwalk text install is often criticized in reviews, even if the overall reviews is good. A graphical installer should be better IMO. We could use VESA for graphical installation, it's far enough ! People just need a mouse, and the ability to use Gparted !!
For about an installation from the LiveCD, it's something different I think. If Pierrick could help, this could be wonderfull !
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

i like the old text based installation stuff, but i think liveCD installation will be more forward looking - and i think it will provide us with much less criticisms by reviewers as mentioned up there.
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

tsuren wrote:i like the old text based installation stuff, but i think liveCD installation will be more forward looking - and i think it will provide us with much less criticisms by reviewers as mentioned up there.
I agree. And to come up with your suggestion in the DE thread: Perhaps a LiveCD with a window manager only (e.g. IceWM) and basic usable apps would be cool. And at install time the user should chose his preferred DE. Such a LiveCD would be more intended as rescue system than everday use system.
If the users want a full featured Live system, they can use Akunas LiveUSB installer, chose their DE and install the Live system to an USB stick.
.:B:.

Post by .:B:. »

tsuren wrote:i like the old text based installation stuff, but i think liveCD installation will be more forward looking - and i think it will provide us with much less criticisms by reviewers as mentioned up there.
The dictates of GUI-whoring (excuse my language!) bloggers that think of theirselves as having 'taste' should not determine the way this project goes. If they do, you might as well shut down the whole thing before it even really started.

Personally I find ncurses installers perfect. What you want heavily (if not exclusively) depends on the public you want to cater to. If you want to compete with Ubuntu (like JP always wanted, despite Ubuntu playing in a whole other league, when it comes to money and manpower).

GUI installers will attract noobs. All those whiners complaining about ncurses installers are exactly that (that's how I see it).

Remember a GUI installer heads additional overhead (not to mention it's extra work). If you really want to go GUI/Live CD with installation option, leave the people the option to install using a regular, good old ncurses installer (and iso) too.