Can sudo be removed?

Other talk about Salix

Can sudo be removed?

Postby BHReach » 21. Sep 2017, 11:02

Can sudo be removed from Salix without breaking the system?
BHReach
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 21. Sep 2017, 11:00

Re: Can sudo be removed?

Postby DidierSpaier » 21. Sep 2017, 11:42

Hello, welcome to this forum.

If what you want is use su to get root's priviledges instead of sudo, just read https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_en ... root_userl. If you also want to remove sudo access from the first created regular user, you can remove it from the wheel group (but be careful, as that may have negative consequences, I really don't know).

All this doesn't need to remove the sudo package, and my advice is to not remove it.

Didier
DidierSpaier
 
Posts: 221
Joined: 20. Jun 2016, 20:15

Re: Can sudo be removed?

Postby BHReach » 10. Oct 2017, 21:15

Sorry for the delay in responding.

IMO, sudo has no role in a single user desktop system. It was never designed for that purpose.

The way Apple OS X and Ubuntu use sudo, weakens security. How is running root commands without a password that much different than running as root? They do it for ease of use.

I don't want to type sudo every time I run a root command.

I don't want to have to become an expert on the sudoers file to make sure there are no glaring security holes.

sudo is an unnecessary piece of software that only complicates my system. There is nothing I can do with sudo that I cannot do more easily without it.

If I try a new flavor of Linux and I cannot remove sudo without breaking it, I just move on to something else.

BTW, if you remove a user from the wheel group, that user will not be able to use the su command.
BHReach
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 21. Sep 2017, 11:00

Re: Can sudo be removed?

Postby laprjns » 10. Oct 2017, 22:55

Well you don't have to used sudo if you don't want to, just use su after enabling the root user. If you do remove sudo then there will be problems running graphical applications that require elevated privileges. Here's why Salix changed to sudo back in 2013.

http://salixos.blogspot.com/2013/11/the ... oblem.html
User avatar
laprjns
Salix Warrior
 
Posts: 974
Joined: 28. Aug 2009, 01:30
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: Can sudo be removed?

Postby DidierSpaier » 10. Oct 2017, 23:00

BHReach wrote:If I try a new flavor of Linux and I cannot remove sudo without breaking it, I just move on to something else.
I didn't say removing sudo will break your system, just that removing it is pointless (as removing all software you don't want to use). You can completely avoid using sudo and use su instead, even if it stays installed

But of course you are free not using a distribution for whatever reason, even if I personally don't think it's a good one.

Good distro hopping.

Didier
DidierSpaier
 
Posts: 221
Joined: 20. Jun 2016, 20:15

Re: Can sudo be removed?

Postby gapan » 12. Oct 2017, 09:11

BHReach wrote:IMO, sudo has no role in a single user desktop system. It was never designed for that purpose.

Right. As you said, it's your opinion only.

BHReach wrote:The way Apple OS X and Ubuntu use sudo, weakens security. How is running root commands without a password that much different than running as root? They do it for ease of use.

This is neither OS X nor Ubuntu. And if you don't know the answer to that question, then you should educate yourself about sudo.

BHReach wrote:I don't want to type sudo every time I run a root command.

Then don't.

BHReach wrote:I don't want to have to become an expert on the sudoers file to make sure there are no glaring security holes.


BHReach wrote:sudo is an unnecessary piece of software that only complicates my system. There is nothing I can do with sudo that I cannot do more easily without it.


BHReach wrote:If I try a new flavor of Linux and I cannot remove sudo without breaking it, I just move on to something else.


BHReach wrote:BTW, if you remove a user from the wheel group, that user will not be able to use the su command.

False. This shows you are not at all qualified to make the dramatic statements you made above.

Good luck with your distro-hoping.
Image
Image
User avatar
gapan
Salix Wizard
 
Posts: 5252
Joined: 6. Jun 2009, 17:40


Return to Misc

cron