Salix runlevel 3 observations

Other talk about Salix
EricC

Salix runlevel 3 observations

Post by EricC »

Hi Guys,

Here are some items I have noticed after switching things to runlevel 3 as the default:

1. As things are loading, I noticed the errors below concerning rc.inet1

These errors also appear when shutting the machine down. Doesn't appear to effect anything, just thought I would point it out.

2. When starting up in runlevel 3, I get the logon prompt at the end of the screen of what has loaded.

To me the screen looks cluttered. One suggestion would be to tweak /etc/issue

so that the screen is cleared before the logon prompt. I think this approach looks cleaner.

3. I also noticed that when I get the logon prompt, the console font changes (which I really like, btw).

However, if I change to vc2, the font is not changed.

Would it be possible to get all the virtual consoles the same?

Obviously nothing earth-shattering, just passing along what I have seen so far.

Thanks for listening,
-Eric
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix runlevel 3 observations

Post by gapan »

Hmmm... I don't get any of that here. No inet1 error message, VC1 is cleared and starts from the top and all other VCs have the same terminus font...

What is the problem with rc.inet1.conf? Did you manually or otherwise tweak that file? That error message might be why everything else doesn't work right.
EricC

Post by EricC »

gapan wrote:Hmmm... I don't get any of that here. No inet1 error message, VC1 is cleared and starts from the top and all other VCs have the same terminus font...

What is the problem with rc.inet1.conf? Did you manually or otherwise tweak that file? That error message might be why everything else doesn't work right.
Wow that is odd. No tweaking of the file. I am currently running Salix in a VMware VM. I'll see about installing it on a spare box at work and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback,
-Eric
EricC

Post by EricC »

Okay, I have some more information to report.

To make sure everyone is on the same page, when I say runlevel 3, I refer to modifying /etc/inittab and switch the runlevel there to 3.

With that clarification out of the way, here's what I have found from installing Salix on box as opposed to a VM:

1. The virtual consoles still have different fonts. VC1 has Terminus, VC2... have the default font.

2. After an initial install, modification of /etc/inittab, and reboot, I found the screen cleared itself of all the startup information and then the logon prompt appeared at the top (as one would expect).

However, if you setup LVM on the same box (which I do), the screen does not clear itself of startup information before the logon prompt appears.

3. If I logout of my session on VC1, the screen does not clear before the logon prompt appears.

4. The rc.inet1.conf issue mentioned in a previous post does not appear with this installation.

Thanks for listening,
-Eric
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I'm still not getting anything like that here. And I just made a fresh installation on a laptop. It's probably something specific to your setup that triggers this, but I have no idea what.
EricC

Post by EricC »

gapan wrote:I'm still not getting anything like that here. And I just made a fresh installation on a laptop. It's probably something specific to your setup that triggers this, but I have no idea what.
Me neither :D As I said before, nothing earth shattering.

Thanks for listening,
-Eric