My concern for Slackware Linux (and SalixOS by association).

Other talk about Salix
Dennola4

Re: My concern for Slackware Linux (and SalixOS by associati

Post by Dennola4 »

Huh.

The actual technology behind all of this, or as much of it as I can grasp, is fascinating. That said, I think that MS, in the guise of improving security, is really just following Apple's model and attempting to make Windows-only PCs.... but unlike Apple, which has it's own proprietary hardware, MS's proposed lockout would extend to any OEM's product pre-installed with Windows8 (and higher). MS is and always has been ruthlessly aggressive where attempting to control market-share is concerned, even at the expense of the quality of their product, and regardless of polished statements implying versatility and user-choice, the facts (from the link I posted above) say it all:

* Windows 8 certification requires that hardware ship with UEFI secure boot enabled.
* Windows 8 certification does not require that the user be able to disable UEFI secure boot, and we’ve already been informed by hardware vendors that some hardware will not have this option.
* Windows 8 certification does not require that the system ship with any keys other than Microsoft’s.
* A system that ships with UEFI secure boot enabled and only includes Microsoft’s signing keys will only securely boot Microsoft operating systems.

Not so good for Linux users, imho.

:|
There are no stupid questions.
deja69

Post by deja69 »

Im still positive about Linux/Unix...its a long hard,but fun road :)

Besides I appreciate being around people who know the cost of something,but also understand the value of it also,
which Microsoft = 'subcontract after-service and deny responsibility'
and Apple = ' The Mac is not as good as NeXtStep' fail to comprehend.

The 'home' user can choose not to go to big vendor stores and choose independent stockists,but 'home' users are small fish to the multinationals.
It is the 'business' users they are trying to lock-in...with cloud services and digital signing they can create walled gardens and gatekeepers.
You will be at a disadvantage if you can not communicate with your associates without using their software or buying licenses to gain access.
What would these people do,if they were not busy all day creating incompatibilities ;)

There are some very intelligent people in technology...but e-commerce has not been as a resounding success as some people wished..so the strategy is 'divide and rule' as always...it is not the software that needs upgrading ;)

Besides...innovation comes the bottom up,not the other way round...we now have microchips which are essentially two pieces of polythene and power cells that are a single electron...this is wonderful simple technology.there are so many opportunities to create and empower ourselves...we have nothing to lose but that dusty 20th century mindset :)

Just remember,there is a fat bald man sat stroking a white cat...with a big red button at his side...that turns the internet off!
Really ! ;)
Dennola4

Post by Dennola4 »

Pretty good overview of the cloudscape. Unfortunate, but makes sense. Or should I say, the sense it makes is unfortunate. Anyway, all the more reason to make sure our little torch-wielding, bearskin wearing Linux tribes don't get wiped out.

Which is why we need a donate button. :mrgreen:
There are no stupid questions.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:
thenktor wrote:Furthermore don't hestitate to donate something for us. Servers cost money.
Yeah, small problem with that. We don't really have a "donate" button. :D
Somehow we should get an official Salix bank account. Then we can create donate buttons.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Salix GmbH?
Saburgin

Post by Saburgin »

I think better would a Salix/Slackware Foundation or e.V.