Happy Aniversary

Other talk about Salix
Atip

Happy Aniversary

Post by Atip »

I just concluded one your with Salix and I must say it was a good year. I have Fluxbox with mate-panel installed
on my desktop PC and XFCE4 on my wifes HP netbook. Salix I think is faster than one linux distro
claiming it to be the fastest. And most everything just works. I must say I love it. I planned
to make a modest contribution which apparently is not possible yet.

Two weeks ago I finally junked my old hardware, got myself a new mobo, duo processor, sata drive
all now in Gigagigantic dimensions for about €200.-. 25 years ago my first computer
with a 20 Mb HD, 16Mb RAM and a dizzining clock speed of 8KHz cost me about $2,000.- And on that
Wyse computer years later I installed and run RedHat 5.2 single handed. Still proud of that achievement.
Last edited by Atip on 16. Jun 2012, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
antmon

Re: Happy Aniversary

Post by antmon »

Thanks for sharing :D !
I would like to know if your hibernation/suspend works? still having problems with this.
Atip

Post by Atip »

antmon wrote:Thanks for sharing :D !
I would like to know if your hibernation/suspend works? still having problems with this.
Suspend works well, hibernate it seems not. Invoking it the screen blanks for a moment and
then comes back, all seemingly running except the mouse which is deactivated. In xterm I give
then suspend command and when waking-up mouse works again. :?
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Suspend and hibernate both works on my computer and on my girlfriend's computer.
I have a old nvidia geforce 7600 GT, running with proprietary drivers. My girlfriend have an Intel (don't remember the exact model), running with free drivers.
I didn't configure anything special apart from having the kernel resume configured.
On my girlfriend's laptop, it's configured to use the swap. On mine, it's like this (in /etc/default/grub) :

Code: Select all

RESUME_FILE="/mnt/slx64/swap"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vt.default_utf8=1 pci=use_crs resume=$(df "$RESUME_FILE"|tail -n1|cut -d' ' -f1) resume_offset=$(filefrag -v "$RESUME_FILE"|grep -A1 physical|tail -n+2|awk '{print $3}') "
with /mnt/slx64/swap which is the size of my RAM.
But you may need to tweak in /etc/pm/* if you have some problem in suspend or hibernate.