Salix, LXDE, Opera - winning combo!

Other talk about Salix
Valiant

Salix, LXDE, Opera - winning combo!

Post by Valiant »

Hi, I'm using Salix 13.37 LXDE with Opera as my main browser. Everything works fast and light, yet sturdy. Opera has an extension to dowload YouTube vids available, just like firefox. My hardware is far from state of the art. I run a 2.8 Ghz pentium with 1gb RAM (C.2006) and an AMD 1.66 Ghz XP with 512 Mhz RAM (c.2004). The combo very well on both. IMHO Opera is an underrated browser.
K.I.S.S. - Keep it Simple and Sublime.
jayseye

Re: Salix, LXDE, Opera - winning combo!

Post by jayseye »

Is there a fully open source version of Opera?
laplume
Donor

Post by laplume »

Valiant wrote:Hi, I'm using Salix 13.37 LXDE with Opera as my main browser. Everything works fast and light, yet sturdy. IMHO Opera is an underrated browser.
Totally agree. I keep using Opera since I switched to Linux, circa 2009. Really fast (currently using it under Salix xfce) and with built-in tools (email and bitttorrent clients). Worth to mention Opera Link to synchronise your setting and bookmarks on all your devices running Opera.
Unfortunately as far as I know there is no open source version of Opera but anyway to me it's one of the best browsers around.

Cheers from Italy,
Antonio
Valiant

Post by Valiant »

jayseye wrote:Is there a fully open source version of Opera?
Sorry, I don't know. I'm using Opera12.02 from the Salix repos.
Valiant

Post by Valiant »

laplume wrote:
Valiant wrote:Hi, I'm using Salix 13.37 LXDE with Opera as my main browser. Everything works fast and light, yet sturdy. IMHO Opera is an underrated browser.
Totally agree. I keep using Opera since I switched to Linux, circa 2009. Really fast (currently using it under Salix xfce) and with built-in tools (email and bitttorrent clients). Worth to mention Opera Link to synchronise your setting and bookmarks on all your devices running Opera.
Unfortunately as far as I know there is no open source version of Opera but anyway to me it's one of the best browsers around.

Cheers from Italy,
Antonio
Thanks for the info Antonio. I have been using Opera for just a couple of weeks and was only aware of its email client. I like Chrome/Chromium/Iron browers too which are fast and light, but will stick with Opera because of its video download extension. (I like to watch old 1960's TV series and comedies).

Cheers from Cornwall,
Jonathan
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

I had been using GPodder to download YouTube videos, though it's been a while. I understand that their latest 2.x update now works again. Though that's unavailable in the repo, it's easy and safe to download the source tarball, unzip it, and run directly from there. Would be interested in hearing more about '60s TV in the Useless Talk sub-forum, if you'd care to follow up, Jonathan.
Valiant

Post by Valiant »

jayseye wrote:............. Would be interested in hearing more about '60s TV in the Useless Talk sub-forum, if you'd care to follow up, Jonathan.
Right Ho!

Opera AutoComplete extension. Today I need to apply online for a course consisting of 8 x weekly 1 day workshops. Each workshop had to be applied for individually, and on each workshop page you are presented with a form for personal details, (address, phone no., email etc). I only had to fill in the first form manually. For the remaining 7 it was simply a matter of clicking in the boxes and AutoComplete just filled in the correct details. It was a real sanity saver! OK, I know other browsers have this kind of this too - but nevertheless I was really impressed.
laplume
Donor

Post by laplume »

Hello,
Here's another extension I find particularly useful in Opera.
https://addons.opera.com/it/extensions/ ... display=en

This extension enhances Opera's abilities to show online documents.
No matter if you click a link to a supported document on a website, paste or drag its link into the address bar(*) or select it in your browser history(*), Documents will do the rest - without the need of any plugin :)

Cheers,
Antonio
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

jayseye wrote:Is there a fully open source version of Opera?
Opera is no open source at all. But still it's a nice browser (and it even uses Qt4 :P)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Thanks for the straight answer, thenktor. For security, a Web browser is probably my first priority for a fully F/LOSS app. Obviously YMMV 8-)