[solved]how to disalbe WINDOS partition mount automatically?

Other talk about Salix
deserter

[solved]how to disalbe WINDOS partition mount automatically?

Post by deserter »

I'm run salix xfce 14rc, to avoid mistaking the windows system patiton accidently, I added the windows C partition in the /etc/fstab file , and used the 'noauto,nouser' options, but windows partiton still mount automaticall. Is there a way to sovle this , meanwile i can still access the other partions of windows ?

thanks in advance !
Last edited by deserter on 13. Nov 2012, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: how to disalbe WINDOS7 partition mount automatically?

Post by mimosa »

If you don't want to mount that partition, comment out the line in fstab - put # as the first character; or remove the line altogether.

Those options do something else.

If you want to mount the partition manually at any time, you can still do so even without the line in fstab, directly in the file manager.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Fstab
is excellent on fstab. I just had a quick look to refresh my memory, and is seems noauto *should* do what you want. However, I believe it is generally used to stop removable drives being automounted, as in the example.

Anyway, commenting out the line should give you the behaviour you want, and you will still be able to mount Windows when you wish.
deserter

Post by deserter »

Maybe I asked wrong question. thoese partitions of windows did not actually mounted , they just show up on the side section of thunar , any time clicking on it , then it would be mounted. I guess it's quite convinient, it's an advantage .
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That's how it's meant to work, yes. I expect there is some way of preventing a partition from appearing like that (maybe an fstab setting?) but I imagine you wouldn't often want to. To stop your kids breaking Windows, maybe?
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Setting it read-only, in fstab, would help to prevent that kind of breakage. Security / privacy is another matter, though.
deserter

Post by deserter »

I guess setting them read only is a way to solve the potential problem.

Thanks again !