Question concerning blacklisting packages

Other talk about Salix
f.bluedevil

Question concerning blacklisting packages

Post by f.bluedevil »

I am trying to add multilib capability to Salix following the instructions on the Slackdocs site Alien Bob (ref: quick and dirty instructions).
http://docs.slackware.com/slackware:mul ... multilibby

He specifically states:
If you use a package manager like slackpkg you will have to add all the glibc and gcc package names to its package blacklist.
Is it necessary to blacklist packages in Salix in order to prevent them from being run over with new updates? And, if so, is it the same procedure as in Slackware? Create an /etc/slackpkg/blacklist directory and list the packages there?

Trying to install wine and virtualbox and reading through previous post it looks like I need to create a multilib environment, which I have now done and would prefer not to do it again if possible.

Thanks in advance
aurlaent
Donor

Re: Question concerning blacklisting packages

Post by aurlaent »

f.bluedevil wrote:Is it necessary to blacklist packages in Salix in order to prevent them from being run over with new updates?
Yes.
f.bluedevil wrote: And, if so, is it the same procedure as in Slackware? Create an /etc/slackpkg/blacklist directory and list the packages there?
No.
/etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc is the file you're looking for.

I've just successfully set up an chrooot environment as outlined in this thread. I found it to be quite painless. The only extra thing I needed to do was bind /dev to get sound working.
f.bluedevil

Post by f.bluedevil »

Well after working most of the day trying to install wine I am going to have to concede defeat. I think the simple solution would be to just dual boot Mint and work in Mint when I need to use the few Mac/Windows programs I still need. I wanted to go Salix all the time but it seems to me all the options for running 32bit programs are a bit messy. I appreciate the link to the chroot but the discussion was beyond my level of comprehension and the man entry for chroot basically said download the complete manual for information. At that point, I already had an headache from reading error messages all day and my scalp was sore from all the head scratching.

Tomorrow, I purge all of todays work, while admitting to myself, once more, like before .. damn, there's still a lot to learn.
aurlaent
Donor

Post by aurlaent »

If you're going to dual boot, you could always dual boot a 32bit salix edition. Gslapt will install wine with no problems, you can share your /home (if you have it on a separate partition) and if you get sick of rebooting you can setup the chroot thing later.
Shador's script does all the heavy lifting, all I had to do was install 32bit salix (never actually booted) add a couple of lines to my /etc/fstab and set up sudo.

All thaat said, if you've got multilib set up, add a regexp or two to the EXCLUDE line and you won't be troubled by updates.
You may also have some success adding Alien Bob's repository, with CUSTOM priority.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

f.bluedevil wrote:Trying to install wine and virtualbox and reading through previous post it looks like I need to create a multilib environment...
f.bluedevil wrote: I think the simple solution would be to just dual boot Mint and work in Mint when I need to use the few Mac/Windows programs I still need.
Have you tried installing VirtualBox yet. You will not need to install multilibs. For personal finance, I started using Quicken back in the late 80's on Windows, and even thought I don't use Windows at home for anything else i still use it for Quicken. At first, I dual booted lInux and windows, but now I've use VirtualBox. It's much easier, no rebooting between operating systems. Try the PUEL version from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads. Make sure you download the correct version for your hardware ( All distributions AMD64).

To install all you need to do is:

0) su root (i.e. log in as root)
1) slapt-get -i kernel-source
2) Download the correct version of Virtualbox installer from here https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
3.) Run the installer script (you may need to chmod +x to run it)
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
f.bluedevil

Post by f.bluedevil »

All thaat said, if you've got multilib set up, add a regexp or two to the EXCLUDE line and you won't be troubled by updates.
You may also have some success adding Alien Bob's repository, with CUSTOM priority.
Well, the only real thing I've decided, is to not give up. I think I'm leaning toward keeping the multilib set-up. But, after a full nights sleep and a morning cup of coffee, I think I'm ready to battle some more. If I continue to have problems I will re-examine the chroot approach.
Have you tried installing VirtualBox yet.
No, I started with wine, set up the multilib environment and installed wine although I'm not sure whether the installation was completely successful. I say that because I immediately ran into problems with the two installs I tried with wine, but, that could just be wine. I do like your suggestion concerning Virtualbox and I think I will give that a try.

Thanks to both of you for your input. ...it's given me enough confidence/hope to continue blundering about ;)