Which Is Most Responsive

Other talk about Salix
retriever

Which Is Most Responsive

Post by retriever »

I am new to Salix, coming from Mint. I would like to know which version of Salix is the fastest and most responsive. I know it is subjective. but I'm interested as it would help me select the best one for me on my 64 bit laptop.

Thank you.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Which Is Most Responsive

Post by mimosa »

That is really a function of the DE or WM concerned. The question might be more, how powerful is your hardware? However powerful it is, it will be faster with a slimmer graphical environment (or none). However, even at the heavier end, Salix does perform well compared to many distros. At the ligher end, there is Salix Ratpoison.

Another consideration is that to date, only the Xfce edition has been released for 14.0.1; all the other versions are 13.37. However, Salix KDE 14.0.1 will be released very shortly.
retriever

Post by retriever »

Thank you for your reply. I guess I'll give Xfce a try. :)
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

Hello retriever and Welcome to Salix Slack..

I am a KDE convert since 2009. I use XFCE daily and monitor it's RAM usage as well as responsiveness.
Also I am a Really Big OpenBox Fan. Most all my installs of Slackware, Debian, Gentoo and Arch have both OpenBox & Xfce Desktops. Some have Fluxbox also.

That is my history here is my experience. OpenBox, FluxBox & LXDE take less HD space and run with less Ram. However When you Start Thunderbird or FireFox You S_T_A_R_TTTTT Thunderbird and FireFox. Just the same. When you run them (unless you have a low RAM) they run the same. If for you it is all about Clean Simple looks then you can do that with Any DE/WM. You can take any DE and load it up with extras and special effects that will take their toll in responsiveness. IF you use the DE as delivered they all are very responsive in my experience. What you will consider is again RAM & HD space, Reason being is FluxBox and OBox start up taking only 125mb to 150mb of available RAM or less. XFCE 300MB+ KDE 500+ and MATE somewhere in between. So as you pile on Windows, TABs and Apps your Responsiveness will Diminish.

What I have done above is long winded version of Mimosa's
The question might be more, how powerful is your hardware?
:D

Hope that helps.
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
retriever

Post by retriever »

Thank you, and your response does help. For some reason I really like Slak distros, even though I like to avoid the command line whenever possible. Salix won't play YouTube videos out of the box, so I wonder what I have to do to fix this.

Thanks once again-
knome
Donor

Post by knome »

retriever wrote:... Salix won't play YouTube videos out of the box, so I wonder what I have to do to fix this.
flash-plugin is available via Gslapt.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Also, Itake it you have installed multimedia codecs (from the Multimedia menu)?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

retriever wrote:Salix won't play YouTube videos out of the box
You must be delusional then. Because it definitely, beyond any doubt, can and does.
kcirick

Post by kcirick »

Just to quickly comment that Google Chrome plays flash contents without flash-plugin
retriever

Post by retriever »

gapan, My mistake. I now have it resolved. I was doing something wrong and couldn't get YouTube to work. I promise I'm not delusional.

Thanks-
Retriever