Screen Brightness

Other talk about Salix
retriever

Screen Brightness

Post by retriever »

I was wodering if there was a way to change the default screen brightness. I know I can use the F5 key to adjust it, I just wanted to know if there is another way. Sorry if this has already been answered.

Thank you-
knome
Donor

Re: Screen Brightness

Post by knome »

Which Window Manager/Desktop?

Monitor or Laptop?

F5 doesn't work for me (xfce). I'd use the buttons on my monitor.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

XFCE has a LCD brightness control for the panel called xfce4-brightness-plugin. I believe it is comes stock so all you need to do is to add it to the panel
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
retriever

Post by retriever »

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it. :D
andyprice

Post by andyprice »

This thread is a bit old, but you may find the following useful...

In Salix 14.0 XFCE (and maybe other versions) you can set the initial screen brightness by adding a line such as:
"echo 12> /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness" (without the quotes) to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

To see why this works, open sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0 and you will see several files in there, including brightness and max_brightness. In my case the value in the latter file is 24, so by setting the value in the brightness file to 12 using the echo command, the computer screen is set to half-brightness as it boots. Check the value in max_brightness and base your echo value on that. If you have installed the xfce brightness plugin you will see that it is automatically set to half way too, though you can still adjust the screen brightness in the normal way(s) once you reach the desktop.

I can't remember exactly where I found this method, but I think it was based on something I found on an Ubuntu forum.
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Just a test in Salix Fluxbox 14.1

Code: Select all

harry[~]$ cd sys/class/backlight
bash: cd: sys/class/backlight: No such file or directory
Like I said. Just a test. I have no backlight troubles on my netbook. If I felt like messing with it.

http://www.slackware.org.uk/slackbuilds ... /redshift/
redshift (screen colour adjuster)

Redshift adjusts the colour temperature of your screen according to
your surroundings. This may help your eyes if you are working in
front of the screen at night.

For more information, see:
http://jonls.dk/redshift/