Xmailer info

Other talk about Salix
jpg153
Donor

Xmailer info

Post by jpg153 »

Hi,

I am wondering why Claws gives following info in sent email headers:
X-Mailer: Claws Mail 3.9.2 (GTK+ 2.24.20; x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
Its Salix 14.1 64bit running...

Why is Salix or Slackware an "unknown" linux?
I checked and this time it is not disabled in BIOS :lol:

Can I edit the info somewhere?

Thanks.
Regards Gruß
jpg
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Xmailer info

Post by gapan »

Not a huge deal. It's only just a string. Claws-mail probably needs to be built with

Code: Select all

--build=$arch-slackware-linux
westms

Post by westms »

gapan wrote:Not a huge deal. It's only just a string. Claws-mail probably needs to be built with

--build=$arch-slackware-linux
Hello gapan,

the unfavorable string was so in Claws Mail 3.9.2, but is now given better in version 3.11.1.
The header is now X-Mailer: Claws Mail 3.11.1 (GTK+ 2.24.20; x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu).

Months ago Claws in the older version no longer wanted to work together with the email provider GMX.net. At that time I used the latest source code and a customized file claws-mail.info for a build. The named build switch I did not use, so I guess that the file claws-mail.SlackBuild was improved. The thus produced build solved the problem with GMX. A few days later, Claws has been updated on slackbuilds.org. Perhaps the "configure" environment has difficulty detecting the actual runtime environment.

Maybe you could make the latest Claws Mail version 3.11.1 to the current version in Salix, because with this version some errors related to SSL / TLS, PGP and other were also fixed (already in version 3.11.0). There are other good improvements that I would not count as "new features".

In the coming days I will install glabels version 3.2.1 and need to perform a build. A dry run has already been shown that also in this case Slackware is not recognized. I can not get LibreOffice version 4.2.5.2 to use business cards or labels.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think the recognition of the runtime environment should be automatic.

Thanks.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I have built these packages for 3.11.1:
http://people.salixos.org/gapan/claws-mail/

I'm hesitant to put them in the repos though. They haven't received any testing...
westms

Post by westms »

gapan wrote:I have built these packages for 3.11.1:
http://people.salixos.org/gapan/claws-mail/

I'm hesitant to put them in the repos though. They haven't received any testing...
Yes, I understand.

The script claws-mail.SlackBuild from my build has produced a TGZ file, which I think has a lower compression ratio than average common in TXZ files. Therefore, probably the difference in size between the two archives.

[~]$ ls -l claws-mail-3.11.1-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz
-rw-r--r-- 1 westms westms 5480188 Nov 12 00:39 claws-mail-3.11.1-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz

[~]$ ls -l claws-mail-3.11.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
-rw-r--r-- 1 westms westms 5198192 Apr 10 16:29 claws-mail-3.11.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
On my system runs a Salix Xfce 14.1 64 DVD ISO (x86_64 64-bit), full installation with all ever offered and unlocked (not excluded) updates.

My build is from the 12th November. Since I work daily with version 3.11.1, which works very well.

From the mail transfer protocols I only use POP3 and SMTP, no IMAP. I also currently do not use PGP. I use email accounts with different providers, with different settings for STARTTLS / SSL in POP and SMTP.

In my work with version 3.11.1, I could not find adverse behavior that did not exist even in version 3.9.2.

I will uninstall my self-created package and instead install and use your package. But enough meaningful tests do not result in too. There seems to be few interested users.
westms

Post by westms »

Hello everybody,

Claws Mail from the package claws-mail-3.11.1-x86_64-1gv, I now have about a week in use. I can not see any difference to my own Claws Mail build.

The member GRITAR called problems with the plugin RSSyl in Claws Mail 3.11.1 in the Greek-speaking forum part. Maybe GRITAR has a problem with the vcalendar plugin too. I did not understand everything. One should keep in mind when considering that the plugins are not directly Claws Mail, but rather plugins. Plugins can always be changed and then cause difficulties. I use neither of the two plugins and therefore did not test them.

On Claws Mail project page / Latest Release: 3.11.1 (News), on 27 October 2014 / Latest News and View old news items following is written about RSSyl:

For release 3.11.0
  • A new version of the RSSyl plugin, completely redesigned and rewritten. Migration from the previous version is automatic, it has a new storage format in ~/.claws-mail/RSSyl/ (hierarchical directories instead of flat file format). It uses the expat library instead of libxml2 for parsing feed data.
For release 3.11.1
  • RSSyl plugin: Enable use of .netrc to store network credentials.
The RSS plugin has been completely redesigned. Perhaps the automatic migration doesn't work as expected. Then an error message to the author would be useful. Andrej Kacian and the Claws Mail Team are responsible for the RSSyl plugin. The e-mail addresses can be found on the plugin web page and in the Claws help menu.

But I think that there may be another cause. The note on migration in release 3.11.0 speaks of the previous version. But this is version 3.10.1. The version included with Salix 14.1 is 3.9.2. There are several version steps in between. In particular, the lack of transition from 3.10.1 to 3.11.0 could cause problems. Perhaps the versions 3.10.1 and 3.11.0 would need to be installed in sequence, so that the automatic migration of RSSyl data could have functioned properly before then the current version can be installed. Further delay would bring no improvement then. But I do not know, I wanted to inspire reflection only. The Salix philosophy does not allow this procedure by anyway.

Even with doubts about the correct functioning of the plugin, an update is worth. Meanwhile, 110 bugs have been fixed, as can be seen from the release notes.