perhaps promising developments in removing systemd

Other talk about Salix
ChuangTzu
Donor

perhaps promising developments in removing systemd

Post by ChuangTzu »

I post this to share some "good" news from those who are actively trying to remove systemd from their systems. It appears that the ArchBang and Arch communities are working on this as we speak. Quite a few have succeded and some are still working on it. I attempted in an Arch virtualbox setup and borked it, so I will try again. It is fun trying to remove it especially from Arch as it is a moving target and very much a hard dependency. The steps basically replace systemd with openRC and then remove most of systemd. The remaining pieces are just dependencies with no functionality other than libs.

What I like about this is it shows that: 1) it can be removed 2) the system can still be upgraded and functional 3) if it can be removed then it will be even easier to never use it in the first place ala Slackware/Salix, Gentoo etc...!!!!

Here is the main page for reading purposes and a few good forum threads:
http://systemd-free.org/
http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=4888
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=152606
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162606

Of course this could also be an option for the next version of Salix...Salix OpenRC edition! Thoughts?
obarun

Re: perhaps promising developments in removing systemd

Post by obarun »

Arch under runit without systemd or libsystemd (/usr/libsystemd*.*, /usr/lib/systemd/*.*, no exist) with some packages rebuild without systemd dependancies(lvm2, xorg,mesa.....). Complete graphical environment available, rolling release without problem, somes services for runit installing with pacman etc etc and work for production
repo for pacman containing rebuilded packages without systemd, github repo for pkgbuild and forum available :)

http://www.obarun.org
obarun : free to control your system
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Are you the same obarun of Manjaro team?
obarun

Post by obarun »

No, i'm the creator of obarun.org (eric vidal <eric@obarun.org>)
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

Obarun looks good (may be there is a possibility to substitute openbox by fluxbox too?).

In any case, since i was a longtime user of debian and i was really astonished about the decision to make systemd the only init option (it created to me or better to my computers some kind of very ugly hassle - especially with catalyst) so i followed a bit devuan. I've to say i'm not so close to coding etc. so please forgive me "untechnical" words: As far as i understand the biggest problems ly in udev. Now, the devuan guys seem to have a valid substitute (vdev or so); wouldn't that solve most of the problems?

Said that, now that i learned a bit about slackware/Salix i like the slackware way to bootup the system and i would love to stick with it in the future.

Cheers.
obarun

Post by obarun »

@jsfarinet
Obarun looks good (may be there is a possibility to substitute openbox by fluxbox too?).

yep without problem
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

obarun.org wrote: Let's talk about statistics :
At first boot :
under console : 90M of used RAM
under X server : between 150-170M of used RAM
Operating :
under console : 90-98M of used RAM
under X server : 170-200M of used RAM
under two tty available and 2vt : 250-70M of used RAM (2vt under complete graphical environment)
You might want to observe the defaults of Salix 14.0 (or was it 13.37) for even lower RAM usage (between 40-60M on idle, stable).
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Successfully removed (you can also contain it as a dependency only) systemd from Debian Jessie.

Some of you know that I have been on an adventure of sorts playing around with removing systemd from various Linux distros, we can now add Debian Jessie to the list.

Here is the process (for an already installed system), it is even easier if a fresh net install
Note: on Debian I prefer aptitude but you can use apt-get if you prefer

aptitude update
aptitude install openrc
aptitude purge gnome (if installed)
aptitude install slim (lightdm requires systemd on Debian)
aptitude install openbox or fluxbox (even Xfce requires systemd on Debian)

reboot

aptitude purge systemd

nano /etc/apt/preferences.d/systemd/
(copy and paste, this will stop any program that has a systemd dependency from being installed)
Package: systemd
Pin: origin ""
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: *systemd*
Pin: origin ""
Pin-Priority: -1

(ctrl x to save)

aptitude update
aptitude install wicd (as purging will remove network manager)

reboot

and the system should boot with openRC with Slim as the DM
enjoy!

;)

Here is a video with decent instructions, however, I had to modify them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7mRNCsLcR4

Note: if blocking systemd with the "pin options" causes too many problems, then you can skip that part or open with nano and place # before each line. Then aptitude update. By skipping that section systemd will be installed as a dependency, but openRC will be the init. This way you can use lightdm, Xfce etc... You will not be able to use Gnome3 though because it requires systemd to function properly.
obarun

Post by obarun »

@zAchAry

under real hardware or virtualbox?

but really is not important for me. i mean, i'm not in concurrence with salix, devuan, debian, arch, dragora, void or what do you want about distro. that is important for me is to let the choice at linux users. I could work in my corner and do not share my work, i pay to share it :), that's the real true i only share my work, i'm not a distro.
but the linux communities need to evolve and open their eyes. Systemd is not a good system and a dangerous system. We can make better than lennart "POTTER".
however more distro will made their system without systemd more the linux communities win in front of potter.
that's my opinion nothing more.

ps: sorry for my poor english
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

obarun wrote: under real hardware or virtualbox?
Under real hardware.
obarun wrote: however more distro will made their system without systemd more the linux communities win in front of potter.
that's my opinion nothing more.
I agree.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix