About Salix package dependencies

Other talk about Salix
Ali82

About Salix package dependencies

Post by Ali82 »

Hello,

I have a question regarding the way Salix handles dependencies. Since Salix it does not bundle dependencies information inside the package. My problem is that if I recompile a package A which is provided by Salix/Slackware, but adding feature that requires the installation of additional package B, how I can update dependency information for that package A adding B and a new dependency?

Any help is highly appreciated.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: About Salix package dependencies

Post by gapan »

You don't have to update the dependency information at all. Why would you need to? You have already rebuilt and installed the updated package, so you already have all dependencies fulfilled.

But if you really want to, you can create a local repo in your system, put it as a CUSTOM source in your /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc and add the package, along with the updated dependencies in there. You can use the metagen-simple.sh script from here to create the repo:
https://github.com/gapan/repo-scripts/tree/master/salix
Ali82

Re: About Salix package dependencies

Post by Ali82 »

gapan wrote:You don't have to update the dependency information at all.
Yes I don't have to, but it is nice to do, so if I attempt to remove B, i get an warning or something. It is just easier for me to maintain my system. The local repository seems a plausible solution for me.