Softmaker Freeoffice

Other talk about Salix
jpg153
Donor

Softmaker Freeoffice

Post by jpg153 »

Softmaker offers their Freeoffice as a christmas special.

I installed it within a 32bit-chroot and it runs quite nice.

http://www.softmaker.com/en/
Regards Gruß
jpg
sqlpython
Donor

Re: Softmaker Freeoffice

Post by sqlpython »

My only question is Why?
As a business owner & Home user I started with StarOffice which evolved to OpenOffice which spun off to LibreOffice. Never have a problem or need that the Writer or SpreadSheet or Presentation Manager could not handle. Plus the compatibility has been A1 with Microsoft Office. Also for most uses LibreOffice is offered Free..but I did donate to the work.
I wish Softmaker well. My opinion is that those talented developers should have coded a different type app where there wasn't such a long standing and excellent Free app already present.
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Hi,

well, I am working with Libreoffice as well and it does what it should most of the time.
However, when it comes to read/write MS-formats its not the best option.
I can tell you form my experience that softmaker office is much better in that respect.
You don't see a difference in plain and easy documents but the more complex the Word-documents are,
you will see a significant advantage of textmaker.
But, if that is not your area of work, than...no matter. I could live with Libreoffice for
almost all letters etc. I do.
But if I need to open MS... from Email attachments etc. ... I thought to give it a try with
Softmaker office.

And, Softmaker products are as "old" or mature as LibreOffice (Starwriter) - they started in 1987...
Regards Gruß
jpg
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

Fair enough.. I will give SoftMaker a look as I have had problems with Presentation Manager conversations..

Thanks 8-)
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate