How much space is needed?

Other talk about Salix
Sasquatch

How much space is needed?

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm in the planning stage of a new computer to replace the laptop I currently use. Part of the plan is to use a separate drive for the system files rather than simply partitioning one drive. I'll mount my home directory to its own, large drive and maybe add another drive for other directories later. My question is, how big a drive would be needed to hold all the system directories?
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: How much space is needed?

Post by ChuangTzu »

I use one drive with separate partitions, its a 1.5TB internal HD. Usually /root is 35GB, /swap is 8GB and the remaining is /home. Salix does not need 35GB for root but its what I used for other distros in the past so I kept it that way. Playing around in VM's I have used as little as 10GB for /root and it was fine.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

So I should be fine with something like a 125 GB drive. I know I ran into trouble before with too small of a root partition when it came time for updates. At the same time, there's no sense in spending money on a 500 GB drive just for the OS.
ghostdawg

Post by ghostdawg »

The more the better, with that said, I have a 250gb HDD and Salix (xfce4) installed on a 30gb partition & a 2gb swap partition. I have other distros installed on their own partition, plus I have a 500gb external HDD to store large files and media files.

Code: Select all

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        31G  9.4G   20G  32% /
Dell Optiplex 760 | Quad-Core | 4gb | 250gb | Salix-14.2 - Xfce4 & Openbox
HP DX5150 AMD64 | 1.5gb | 40gb | SalixOS-13.0 - Xfce4
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

ghostdawg wrote:The more the better...
For the whole system, yes. But I'm specifically interested in just the root files. If they can survive on a ~30 GB partition then using a 125 GB SSD should be more than adequate. Then I can mount /home to its own drive and add more drives later if needed.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

should be plenty of space.