Anyone installed MythTV lately?

Other talk about Salix
Sasquatch

Anyone installed MythTV lately?

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm looking at building an HTPC for my wife and I with a Salix core installation running it. I've been trying to install MythTV on my laptop just to get comfortable with the process and I am having no luck at all. The wiki page on MythTV is over six years old, so probably not as accurate as it could be. All the documentation I can find online is for junkbuntu or other Debian-based distros that have everything in their repositories. I know it isn't as simple as "./configure; make; make install" but I'm not afraid of the command line. I just need some guidance in figuring out what I'm doing wrong and how to make it right.

Of course, I'm assuming MythTV is fully functional on Salix. I hope I don't have to use a different distro for the HTPC because Salix is by far the best Linux distro I've used in the fifteen years or so that I've been playing with Linux.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Anyone installed MythTV lately?

Post by mimosa »

It would probably help if you could give details of what you have tried and what happened so far.

Perhaps another Salix user has already cracked this, but if not, maybe three heads are better than one :)

Tell that to Zaphod Beeblebrox ...
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

mimosa wrote:It would probably help if you could give details of what you have tried and what happened so far.
I'm certain it would. But that would require me to remember what I've done. :lol: :oops: Other than downloading and installing the latest version of Qt I have no idea what all I've done so far. I do know that the install keeps failing because it requires a newer qmake than gslapt has. That's why I installed the newest Qt. But I keep getting an error telling me to use

Code: Select all

--qmake=
and I don't know if that's for the ./configure command or what.
So should I be trying

./configure --qmake=~/Qt/5.7/qmake
or whatever the path actually is?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Are you using Salix 14.2? If not, you should definitely consider upgrading for this.

Beyond that, Arch wiki often contains nuggets of gold.

It might help to post a bit more of the context of the error messages you are receiving. The more specific you can be, the easier it may be to help. Anyone who is trying to help can then possibly attempt to reproduce what you have done. So, to start off, how are you trying to build it?

I'm just trying to build it myself:

sudo spi -i mythtv
but I suspect I don't have enough memory to follow through all the way.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

According to this

cat /etc/*-release
I'm running 14.1

$ cat /etc/*-release
NAME=Slackware
VERSION="14.1"
ID=slackware
VERSION_ID=14.1
PRETTY_NAME="Slackware 14.1"
ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:slackware:slackware_linux:14.1"
HOME_URL="http://slackware.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I don't know about mythtv, but you can try kodi in 14.1.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

gapan wrote:I don't know about mythtv, but you can try kodi in 14.1.
Kodi lacks the DVR function, which is our most desired feature. So I'd still need MythTV or something similar as a backend if I ran Kodi.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Sasquatch wrote:Kodi lacks the DVR function, which is our most desired feature. So I'd still need MythTV or something similar as a backend if I ran Kodi.
No it doesn't: http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

They explicitly say on that page that Kodi does not provide PVR service on its own. Kodi is, essentially, just a very elaborate media player and organizer. The page following that link gives a short list of suitable backends, including MythTV, which provide the PVR function; http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_backend

The various threads I've seen offer no consensus as to whether the MythTV frontend is adequate, seems mostly a personal preference issue. Many use Kodi as a frontend because it offers a huge assortment of plugins and a prettier GUI. But it seems somewhat silly to me to add another program that duplicates functions already available in the first program. The backends listed are all stand-alone players except for the DVBlink. DVBlink looks like it might be a non-free option since the website offers a "trial version" download according to the video.

But thanks to that page I'm now looking at VDR versus MythTV. Maybe VDR is easier to get running.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I think I've made progress. Well, the installation fails later in the process than it had been. So I guess that's something. I solved the Qt issue I was having by putting symlinks to the newer version of qmake in the directories where it was looking for qmake. Also, I gave up on the SlackBuild script and went with the source tar from MythTV.

Now when I run 'make' it goes quite a bit farther before I get this;

ypes.o  -L../libmythbase -lmythbase-0.28 -lXext -lXinerama -lXxf86vm -lXv -lXrandr -lxml2 -lcrypto -lass -lfftw3_threads -lfftw3f -lfftw3 -lmp3lame -lxcb-shm -lxcb-xfixes -lxcb-render -lxcb-shape -lxcb -lX11 -ljack -lasound -lfreetype -lm -llzma -lbz2 -lz -ludev -pthread -ldl -lraw1394 -liec61883 -lavc1394 -lrom1394 -L/usr/local/lib -L/home/neanderthal/Qt/5.7/gcc_64/lib -lQt5Gui -L/usr/lib64 -lQt5Script -lQt5Core -lpthread -lGL  
ln -s libmythservicecontracts-0.28.so.0.28.0 libmythservicecontracts-0.28.so
ln -s libmythservicecontracts-0.28.so.0.28.0 libmythservicecontracts-0.28.so.0
ln -s libmythservicecontracts-0.28.so.0.28.0 libmythservicecontracts-0.28.so.0.28
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/neanderthal/mythtv/mythtv-fixes-0.28/mythtv/libs/libmythservicecontracts'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/neanderthal/mythtv/mythtv-fixes-0.28/mythtv/libs'
make: *** [libs] Error 2
That's a pretty vague message. I have no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. I saved more of the terminal readout as a txt file. It looks interesting in that format, but it's still over my head.

I posted this on the MythTV forum as well. I'm trying to get this sorted out so I can share the info with others here who are interested in using MythTV.