After much assistance from the folks on the MythTV forum I managed to get things sorted out. Seems most of the problem was due to me not properly clearing out the 'configure' and 'make' files after an installation failed. I thought these were overwritten each time you ran './configure' or 'make' but they aren't. So when the installation failed the first time because I overlooked a missing dependency I should have run something like;
Code: Select all
git clean -xfd
And the one major hitch in the process is that the most current stable release of MythTV (0.28.0) requires Qt 5.2 or later but the most current version of Salix (14.2) comes with Qt 4.8.7. If you want to easily install MythTV you have to use an older release, I went with 0.27.5. If you want the newest release of MythTV you'll have to install a newer version of QT to make it work. I think technically you only need a need a newer version of qmake. But qmake isn't available on its own. If there's a way to get qmake other than installing Qt that might simplify the process. And it is possible you need more than just qmake.
Also, too new a version of Qt will cause problems. Right now, MythTV still relies on QtWebKit (or something similar). But the newest version of Qt (5.7) has QtWebEngine instead. The developer who helped me get sorted out says there is talk about backporting MythTV over to QtWebEngine. But it isn't likely to happen in the near future.
The only other issue I ran into with the installation is that Salix 14.2 seems to have changed the names of some of the mysql config files. This caused me some confusion because the documentation available for setting up mysql was pointing to different files. The change isn't major, from 'mysql' to mysqld', but I had to look into /etc/ when I kept getting errors telling me "no such file or directory" when I was trying to manipulate the necessary files. The portion of the MythTV documentation dealing with the database ran into trouble here. And even the Salix documentation on getting mysql running is now a bit out of date. I'm not absolutely certain that this isn't causing issues after the install. I don't know what autogenerated files within MythTV may be pointed at the wrong mysql files. I am still having issues connecting to the database. But I can't say whether that's because the filenames have changed or because I goofed something in the process.
So... the short answer to the question in the title of this thread is, "yes, somebody has installed MythTV lately", me. If you use Salix 14.2 and MythTV 0.27.5 you should have no major problems. The walk-through in the MythTV documentation works perfectly. But you will have to adjust the instructions for setting up the mysql database to account for the changes that have been made to some files. Maybe somebody who's skilled with mysql (or MariahDB in this case) can provide some insight as to how to update the MythTV database process.