Playing with a spin-off

Other talk about Salix
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Playing with a spin-off

Post by gapan »

Ouch. Just remembered there is a bug with the xfce 14.2 release that actually prevents it from working properly. If you have the iso extracted on a usb drive, you could fix it though. Go to the usb root directory and run:

Code: Select all

gunzip PACKAGES.TXT.gz
sed -i "s|^PACKAGE LOCATION:  ./iso|PACKAGE LOCATION:  .|" PACKAGES.TXT
That should make it work.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Thanks. I'll do that when I get home in the morning.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well that won't work at the moment. The USB is mounted read-only because the iso on it is read-only. I had tried 'mount -rw' and got a message saying it was ignoring the -w flag because of the read-only file system. So I guess I'll just stick with using depfinder and installpkg. Granted, that won't be the quick way. But I'm not building a full install at the moment. I'm just trying to get a few bits here and there to experiment with Wayland. I don't think I'll have to install hundreds of dependencies to accomplish that.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

You need to extract the iso (not loop mount it).
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

mimosa wrote:You need to extract the iso (not loop mount it).
So copy the iso to the USB instead of 'dd'ing it? And then extract it to my target computer? Would that have any advantage over just mounting the USB? I'm not sure I want all those files on the target computer even though they would be isolated in a new directory.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I am swimming in a sea of acronyms at the moment. Can somebody point me to some documentation on how the different bits of the Linux graphics stack work together? I can't sort it out based on the docs of the source sites. SDL, EGL, DRM/KMS, OpenGL, Mesa3D... I really can't figure out where to start. Is Mesa the bottom of the stack? I can't tell if Mesa works under DRM or if I need something else. I do understand that Wayland acts as sort of a router connecting all the windowing apps to the display driver in an orderly fashion. And I've already selected a WM that works on top of a small Wayland compositor. It's the bits between the WM and the kernel that are unclear. It looks like I need some variation of OpenGL, likely Mesa, and then something else on top of that, probably SDL, to handle input and audio and such. Is it that simple? All the sites talk about how wonderful their programs/libraries are and how they're the way of the future, but none of them bother explaining how to build with their amazing code.

I am wanting to go with DRM/KMS if that makes any major difference. I understand it's possible to bypass X, Wayland, or any display server and draw straight from the framebuffer. But that seems like a bad idea for anything other than a single-purpose embedded machine. There has to be something between the windows and the kernel to schedule things smoothly.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Sasquatch wrote:
mimosa wrote:You need to extract the iso (not loop mount it).
So copy the iso to the USB instead of 'dd'ing it? And then extract it to my target computer? Would that have any advantage over just mounting the USB? I'm not sure I want all those files on the target computer even though they would be isolated in a new directory.

You can put it wherever you like - my impression is you'd like it to be on the USB stick, and that's fine - as long as it is writeable. So you need to extract it, not copy it.

To do this, first create a filesystem on your stick, then mount it, then extract the iso to the stick. Then gapan's instructions will work.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Okay, now I fully understand. But I don't know that I'll bother. The only reason I need to write to the iso is to change that file as gapan instructed. And the only reason to do that is so that I can use slapt-get. However, installpkg is working just fine. Yes, I have to manually check for dependencies. But that's fine too since it gives me a little bit more control. I think it's doing me good to swim in the deeper water a bit. :D
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Hair shirt might be a better analogy: instead of having Salix's package management tools to keep track for you, you have to do it yourself. The potential for muddle is considerable. That is one of the reasons Slackware is commonly regarded as not being for the faint-hearted. I'm sure you're not that, but if you make things simple where you can, you have more time for the rest. I'm sure it's all an excellent learning experience, either way.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm taking notes, which I've never done before while installing things. So there's hope for me yet. The other good news is that so far I'm only installing things from the iso. So I haven't gotten to the part where I can really break things.

I can't get the wireless to cooperate at the moment. I have wpa_supplicant up and running. I have the .conf file edited to suit my router, but I can't sort out the drivers. I installed the firmware from the USB after locating it in Gslapt on this computer. But there is still something amiss. I had wi-fi working just fine before I did the core install. So I know the bits in the Salix repo work. I'm just missing something.