SalixOS 14.2 64bit on a MacBook Pro

Other talk about Salix
konstantin4o

SalixOS 14.2 64bit on a MacBook Pro

Post by konstantin4o »

Thank you guys very much for creating such a nice stable operating system. I just want to share my satisfaction from the latest stable release and the platform it is running on:
MacBook Pro Late 2011
2.2 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
6 GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
500 GB 5400 rpm HDD
15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display 1440x900
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB of GDDR5 videomemory
8x DVD drive
10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet
802.11n Wi-Fi (broadcom b43xx)

This release can co-exist next to Windows 7 32bit for example.
As a matter of fact I wiped out OS X Lion and installed Win 7 because I didn't find proper driver for my laser printer Canon LBP6000 for 64-bit Salix.
I just downloaded "salixlive64-xfce-14.2.iso" and ran the LiveDVD media. Tried the live desktop and chose to install it. Prepared two primary partitions (one ext4 and one for the linux-swap file). After installing Salix 14.2 64-bit next to Windows 7 I immediatelly began exploring/customizing my beautiful XFCE 4.12 environment.
Nowadays I can say I do anything with my sweet Salix and restart in Win7 only when need to print a document.

Salix 14.2 works right out of the box, my wired LAN was recognized and I used Sourcery SlackBuild Manager to look for "b43-firmware". After installing this firmware and just restarting my machine it detected immediately local Wi-Fi networks.

Thank you for all the mirrors you are so kind to put in a list in order to be available for the Salix fans to reach the necessary repositories.

I think you will have a great success if you start offering laptops (new and used, various brands) with pre-installed SalixOS XFCE.

-Sofia, Bulgaria, April 2017.

PS: Dell, for example, is recognized brand on our local market, but when asking for a new machine (or looking online for used one) with Linux pre-installed they often offer one with Ubuntu with Unity, which is not very popular/practical choice here. That's why many customers prefer to replace it for Windows 7 or if they insist for Linux their choice is Xubuntu.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: SalixOS 14.2 64bit on a MacBook Pro

Post by djemos »

Linux driver for lbp6000 is here. I don't know if it works since i don't have such a printer.