Don't throw away your old PC - a success story.

Other talk about Salix
Luffy

Re: Don't throw away your old PC - a success story.

Post by Luffy »

The version Salix-Live Xfce (14.2) 32-bit runs in an old Pentium 3 with only 256MB of RAM. A little slow but the terminal is usable.

I use Salix 14.2 + openbox in:
Intel pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz
chipset Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP
Memory 1GB DDR
Wifi, D-Link, DWA-132

Gracias Salix.
Luffy

Post by Luffy »

Pentium 4 + Firefox 60.2.0-ESR:

To disable e10s/multiprocess go to about:config by typing it in your URL bar. Search for browser.tabs.remote.autostart using the search box on about:config. There may be multiple results. Set them all to false and restart the browser.

How do I disable Firefox Screenshots?
If you want to disable Firefox Screenshots, do the following:
  • In your browser's toolbar, type in about:config.
    In the search field, type in screenshots. You will see a preference called extensions.screenshots.disabled.
    Double-click this preference to set it to true.
Once you've toggled this preference, you're all set. Screenshots will no longer run in your browser.

Disable Pocket for Firefox?
If you prefer not to use Pocket for Firefox, follow these steps to disable it:
  • In the address bar, type about:config and press Enter.
    The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I accept the risk! to continue to the about:config page.
    Type pocket in the Search box above the list of preferences.
    Double-click the extensions.pocket.enabled preference to toggle its value to false.
Note: Disabling Pocket does not remove Recommended by Pocket entries, if present, on the New Tab page. If you would also like to remove those Pocket recommendations, click the cogwheel at the top right corner of the New Tab page and uncheck Recommended by Pocket. See Hide or display content in New Tab for more information.

Disable Unnecessary Animations?
Animations in Firefox Quantum are not a bad thing, but if you have an old PC where every MB of RAM counts or simply don’t need these animated flourishes, you can disable them by going to toolkit.cosmeticAnimations.enabled and setting the value to “false.”
Now, type “animate” in the top search bar, and set the value to all entries that show up as “False.”
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

You developers will be pleased to hear, that Salix 14.2 (64-Bit) outperformed the current Linux Mint and Xubuntu on an browser-based application, that required maximum online performance on a laptop of 2011. That raised the productivity of the laptop's owner, an online translator, quite a lot.
laslo_one

Post by laslo_one »

i'm using Salix on a PC, that was build around 2009 and it works great!
icanttellyou

Post by icanttellyou »

It ran on my old HP laptop without fuss! No freezes from the framebuffer.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

I have 14.2 running on an 8+ year old desktop and a 12+ year old laptop.
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

Salix runs faster and better on my very old Dell Dimension than even Linux Lite (not so light after all) or LXLE (highly customized Lubuntu).