Salix 14.2 upgrade necessary?

Other talk about Salix
Spiff

Salix 14.2 upgrade necessary?

Post by Spiff »

If I install 14.2, and say 14.3 or 15 comes out, will I have to upgrade to the newer edition or can I use Salix 14.2 until Slackware declares it end of life?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix 14.2 upgrade necessary?

Post by gapan »

No, you wouldn't have to upgrade. Security updates for older releases are provided for as long as possible. You might want to upgrade if there is some new feature in the newer version that the older one lacks and that you would like to have.
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Thanks. :) Reason I asked is because people in family do not like change (and want stuff to work, period ;) ), and I do not want to reinstall every year or two like they do in Ubuntu or Debian.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Spiff wrote:Reason I asked is because people in family do not like change (and want stuff to work, period ;) )
Then Salix is tailor-made for your family needs. It's rock-solid, does its job silently in the background, and lets you do your work without interrupts or issues. It just works, to the point you often forget it is there. I know people still using 14.1 because of this, and I bet there are others still using even older versions.

Still, newer versions come with more recent (but well tested) software and new or improved functionality. You might want this. Besides, installing a new Salix release typically takes like 5 minutes to install it, and 1-2 hours at most, to set up your own stuff (libraries you made, settings etc). Not a big deal.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Papasot wrote:
Spiff wrote:Reason I asked is because people in family do not like change (and want stuff to work, period ;) )
Then Salix is tailor-made for your family needs. It's rock-solid, does its job silently in the background, and lets you do your work without interrupts or issues. It just works, to the point you often forget it is there. I know people still using 14.1 because of this, and I bet there are others still using even older versions.

Still, newer versions come with more recent (but well tested) software and new or improved functionality. You might want this. Besides, installing a new Salix release typically takes like 5 minutes to install it, and 1-2 hours at most, to set up your own stuff (libraries you made, settings etc). Not a big deal.
this +1